Problem with Accessing One Computer on a 4-Computer Home Network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Alan, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm working on a customer's wireless home network that has 4 computers on
    it, all running XP Pro with SP2 and all updates installed. I've used a
    Linksys router, and each machine is able to connect to the Web without any
    problems.

    The customer wants to be able to share printers, which are attached to two
    computers, as well as to have a common directory on each machine that will
    be visible to all 4 PCs on the network.

    I'm having problems with one of the 4 computers not being able to have its
    shared folder and attached printer accessed by the other 3 machines. When I
    display the Microsoft Windows network via Windows Explorer, the unique
    computer name is visible, but when I click on the computer name in order to
    see the folder that is being allowed for sharing. I receive an Access Denied
    message.

    I am able to ping to this machine from the 3 other computers, and
    vice-versa, and the "problem" machine is able to access the designated
    shared folder on the other 3. Additionally, the other 3 computers are able
    to see the contents of each others' files in the network.

    To troubleshoot, I've disabled all 3rd party firewalls and, as the network
    has a hardware router, I've tried turning off the Windows firewall on the
    "problem" PC to see if that makes any difference. It doesn't. I've also
    turned off the IPSEC service, as suggested in
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314067http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314067
    but this has not helped either.

    Does anyone have some thoughts as to what might be going on, and how I can
    get my "problem" PC to open itself up to the others?

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Alan

    Alan, Jan 24, 2007

  2. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 24, 2007