Problem With A folder...it has 42 invalid path names with 7,331,840 unusable bytes in each file

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DarkStar, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. DarkStar

    DarkStar Guest

    Problem With A folder...it has 42 invalid path names with 7,331,840 unusable bytes in each file

    No Viruses found.

    The path is c:\documents and settings\username\recent\(strange characters each file)

    There is 307,937,280 bytes on the disk that are locked cant be used

    because of this.

    My OS is WinXP Pro and my file system is FAT32.

    I will do a complete scan for bad sectors but i think that will

    not correct things because i ran a seperate diagnostics provided

    by a drive manufacturer so i think the FAT32 is damaged.

    CHKDSK will not fix this problem, or so it seems.

    Thanks for any replies.

    DarkStar, Aug 9, 2006

  2. DarkStar

    DarkStar Guest

    Any Ideas in how to fix this is appreciated
    this error effectively locks a whole user account
    from being deleted. None of the commands
    i will try will obliterate these unwanted files.

    Here are the bad file names.
    When i try to delete these using various
    different programs i get errors like
    These Files Do Not Exist
    Invalid File Names
    Stuff like that.

    The first two are valid files.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\a.txt (19 KB, 8/9/2006 12:52:00 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\b.txt (1 KB, 8/9/2006 12:55:28 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\tì (7160 KB, 11/22/2050 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\|ì (7160 KB, 11/30/2050 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\äì (7160 KB, 12/6/2050 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\îì (7160 KB, 12/14/2050 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\öì (7160 KB, 12/22/2050 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\£ì (7160 KB, 12/30/2050 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\ñì (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:04:48 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\¼ì (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:05:20 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\¦ì (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:05:52 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\+ì (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:06:24 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\-ì (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:06:56 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\¦ì (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:05:52 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\+ì (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:06:24 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\_ì (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:08:30 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\Sì (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:09:02 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\8ì (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:09:34 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\(ì (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:10:06 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\nì (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:10:38 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\Ä (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:11:10 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\ Ä (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:11:42 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\Ä (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:12:14 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\Ä (7160 KB, 8/8/2006 10:12:46 PM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\$Ä (7160 KB, 1/6/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\,Ä (7160 KB, 1/14/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\4Ä (7160 KB, 1/22/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\<Ä (7160 KB, 1/30/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\DÄ (7160 KB, 2/6/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\lÄ (7160 KB, 2/14/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\TÄ (7160 KB, 2/22/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\\Ä (7160 KB, )
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\dÄ (7160 KB, 3/6/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\lÄ (7160 KB, 2/14/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\tÄ (7160 KB, 3/22/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\|Ä (7160 KB, 3/30/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\äÄ (7160 KB, 4/6/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\îÄ (7160 KB, 4/14/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\öÄ (7160 KB, 4/22/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\£Ä (7160 KB, 4/30/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\ñÄ (7160 KB, 5/6/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\¼Ä (7160 KB, 5/14/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\¦Ä (7160 KB, 5/22/2051 12:00:02 AM)
    C:\Documents and Settings\Geoffrey\Recent\+Ä (7160 KB, 5/30/2051 12:00:02 AM)

    DarkStar, Aug 9, 2006

  3. DarkStar

    thanatoid Guest

    I don't use or know much about XP except not to go anywhere near
    it, still, I'll comment.

    Stuff like that is easily taken care of in a DOS file manager
    like the fantastic XTree. Since you're running XP - although I
    understand it contains some ridiculously bloated "DOS emulator"
    - I don't know whether that thing will run "outside" of XP or
    whether it actually serves any purpose at all. If you can get
    hold of some file manager that will run before all of XP kicks
    in you might be able to delete that stuff.

    I have no idea of whether this can be done, but if you set up a
    separate DOS directory and installed >just< DOS in it from a Win
    98 disc, that >might< allow you to do it as well. There's
    "supposedly" no DOS since Win95 but I've been using Xtree with
    95 and 98 (both with FAT32) with 100% success.

    Hopefully someone else who knows more than I will reply as well.

    thanatoid, Aug 9, 2006
  4. DarkStar

    why? Guest

    May or many not help, it's more likely the file / directory structure.
    Use a more reliable FS, like NTFS :)
    See what the FAT options for chkdsk are,
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

    Had this before, once or twice. It's been many years ago (NT4 or 2000),
    from what I remember using deltree from the cmd prompt.

    I have a feeling at 1 point the NT4 box had the set of Unix tools
    installed and it's rm cleared things up. It was IIRC only NTFS
    partitions, didn't have FAT32/FAT and after multiple power cuts.

    Me

    why?, Aug 9, 2006
  5. DarkStar

    DarkStar Guest

    I was Able to correct the problem only
    by booting up with a WIN98 Common bootdisk
    and running the ScanDisk program that
    came with it. Absolutely nothing else
    would solve my problem with invalid path names.
    I have since reformatted everything back to NTFS.
    NTFS is the only way for the SYSTEM c:\ drive to be.
    Funny things seem to happen with FAT32.

    DarkStar, Aug 16, 2006
  6. DarkStar

    thanatoid Guest

    <SNIP>

    Well, that is not *entirely* unrelated to the advice I gave you,
    so I feel good about being able to help a little (feel free to
    correct me if I am being a little presumptuous ;-#).

    AFA FAT32, I have NEVER had a problem with it, except in 95B if
    I do a scandisk WITHIN Windows, one partition (I have 7 on one
    machine and 15 or something on the other) always gets tagged
    with the same free space as the next one alphabetically, and
    that is only correctable by doing the scandisk in DOS. No big
    deal.

    NEVER any problems with the 98SE Lite machine.

    But it entirely possible that XtraProblems works a little better
    with NTFS than FAT32.

    Anyway, I'm glad your problem is solved.

    thanatoid, Aug 16, 2006
  7. DarkStar

    DarkStar Guest

    I used Partition Magic to go from NTFS
    to FAT32 then Convert.exe to go back to
    NTFS I wonder if your not supposed
    to go from NTFS to FAT32 but Partition magic
    never tried to stop me.

    My problems with those invalid names did
    not start till i was playing with programs
    downloaded from newsgroups so I am not sure
    exactly what caused the problem in the first place.
    It might also been related to MSN MUsic or
    WMP11 because after trying to play a file I
    got this message that said something like
    "Cancelling all Download rights" and the hard drive was
    being worked very hard and that caused me to do an
    emergency shutdown
    after reboot I found that problem.
    I got the impression that either the file I played or the
    Fido player or WMP or that MSN Music was behind it all
    but because so many variables were involved I may never know the truth.

    I seemed to have recovered with a minimum of damage
    the emergency shutdown seemed the right thing to do.

    I am not certain what was going on with my HD but because
    NTFS has this multiple threads to a single file thingy
    error it made me convert to FAT 32 to try and save
    files by obliterating what was being done with NTFS.

    When I ran Scandisk.exe it corrected the bad filepaths and
    freed up whatever was happening as CHK files which I simply
    deleted to recover those bytes.

    This problem "Cancelling all Download Rights" cost me in excess
    of $70 to fix within my machine.

    I am not at all happy with some programmers out there
    Whoever they might be.

    There was an unknown thing being done to my machine that
    cost me over $2000.00 in the first place.

    I have known that People have died over much less damages
    then $70.

    DarkStar, Aug 16, 2006
  8. DarkStar

    Whiskers Guest

    Perhaps Partition Magic assumes that anyone using it will know what
    they're doing?

    Converting from NTFS to FAT32 will lose the file 'attributes' that exist
    in NTFS but not in FAT32, and you might come up against the 2GB maximum
    file size in FAT32, and possibly (if your hard disc is big enough) the 2
    TB limit on partition size. I'm not an expert in Microsoft (or any other)
    disc file systems, but I'm surprised that any of your files survived
    converting from a modern file system to an older one.
    Aha, a clue! You never know what sort of mischief might not be intended
    by people who upload 'stuff' to binary newsgroups.
    A quick Google on that message (probably generated by whatever it was you
    downloaded) took me to your article in alt.dvd.video where you give a
    fuller description of what you were doing:

    Newsgroups: alt.dvd.video
    Subject: Is My Hard Drive damaged By An MPG file ??
    Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 10:26:04 GMT
    From: "DarkStar" <>

    You downloaded a binary file from a newsgroup, over-rode what looks like a
    safety precaution possibly introduced by your own anti-virus software, and
    things all went pear-shaped at that point. Someone laid a pirate trap and
    you walked right into it.

    snip
    I don't know where the $70 comes into it, but you seem to have had a
    narrow escape from a tough learning experience. I think it's reasonable
    to suppose that the file you downloaded was meant to make a mess of the
    computers of anyone daft enough to try and force their computers to run
    it. Yes, there are people out there who do that sort of thing.

    Whiskers, Aug 16, 2006
  9. DarkStar

    DarkStar Guest

    Thanks for your response the $70 comes from the
    HD Mechanic program I purchased to try and repaire
    my Damaged FAT32.
    The program ran and told me all was OK
    even though I had invalid paths on the drive.
    It was Agent Ransack that suggested I try
    Scandisk and Scandisk from WIN98 did in fact
    fix the problem.
    Why cant these utility people make a good
    program that will totally repair whatever they
    say they can repair.
    I do not understand this artistic world that is
    always trying seperate the man from his money.
    I sure wish objective sciences were governing our lives.
    Not this artistic economy.

    DarkStar, Aug 16, 2006
  10. DarkStar

    Whiskers Guest

    Windows XP has its own repair and recovery utilities included. I
    recommend that you find them and familiarise yourself with them,
    especially if you want to continue to live dangerously. They are probably
    on your 'Start' menu somewhere.
    Perhaps none of the specific things that Hard Drive Mechanic is designed
    to rescue data from, had gone wrong with your hard disc. It sounds as
    though the disc itself was fine, and what you had was a load of garbage
    files generated by the malware you downloaded - on top of which you had
    'performed an improper shut down' and then changed the file-system of the
    disc.
    By and large it's the commercial world that is trying to get your money;
    artists seldom get rich and often have to do something else to earn a
    living.

    You don't seem to have hesitated long in spending money to get you out of
    the hole you'd dug yourself into as a result of your trying to deprive
    someone else of the money they had hoped to earn from whatever it was you
    thought you were downloading from a binary newsgroup.
    Beyond the inescapable operation of 'the laws of nature', I don't think you
    would like being ruled in any way based on 'objective science'. Particularly
    if you were to continue to break the rules.
    There is no such thing.

    Whiskers, Aug 16, 2006
  11. DarkStar

    thanatoid Guest

    You may be somewhat new to computing, since many data-recovery
    and such programs offer free trials to see if they will do the
    job in the first place, etc. And there are free ones. And your
    98 disc was "kind of" free.

    Anyway, while I understand your anger and frustration, what I
    really NEED to ask, is WHAT the hell is an "artistic world" and
    "artistic economy"???

    I don't think I have ever seen a more absurd combination of
    words, maybe with the exception of "Bush" and "president".

    thanatoid, Aug 16, 2006
  12. DarkStar

    thanatoid Guest

    I sounds like you should visit another group in which I tend to
    hang out a lot, alt.suicide.holiday. It's for people who hate
    themselves, the human race and life in general, and hope to
    snuff it as soon as circumstances permit it.

    thanatoid, Aug 17, 2006