Problem when I turn on my PC (black screening).

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by st.lucky, Nov 5, 2006.

  1. st.lucky

    st.lucky Guest

    Hi,
    I'm sorry my bad english.
    When I turn on my PC, after many hours of inactivity, it jams in the
    first black screening where there are these writings:

    Press Del to run Setup
    Press F8 for BB POPUP
    DDR Frequency 400 MHz, Dual Channel, Lineal Mode
    Checkik Ram

    That back screening goes away after 3-4 minutes and then it goes on
    correctly. My PC works without problems.
    If I turn off my PC and I turn on it again in short time, that black
    screening goes away iimmediately, (it is in the nrorm).
    Why if I turn on my PC when it is cold I have problems and If I turn
    on my PC when it is warm, it is ok.
    Thanks for info

    st.lucky, Nov 5, 2006

  2. st.lucky

    - Bobb - Guest

    What does this mean -

    "Press F8 for BB POPUP" ?

    - Bobb -, Nov 5, 2006

  3. st.lucky

    Baron Guest

    I would guess "Boot Block"

    Baron, Nov 5, 2006
  4. st.lucky

    - Bobb - Guest

    My reason for asking is that the message ' is not normal' and might very
    well be his problem.

    - Bobb -, Nov 5, 2006
  5. st.lucky

    Baron Guest

    What does the "Popup" say ?

    Baron, Nov 5, 2006
  6. st.lucky

    st.lucky Guest

    What does the "Popup" say ?

    I have just checked better, on the black screening I see this
    writing:

    Press Del to run Setup
    Press F8 for BBS POPUP

    st.lucky, Nov 5, 2006
  7. st.lucky

    Baron Guest

    Doesn't help much ! I take it this is where the machine stops ?

    Baron, Nov 6, 2006
  8. st.lucky

    st.lucky Guest

    YES!!!

    st.lucky, Nov 6, 2006
  9. st.lucky

    - Bobb - Guest

    Read my message below - but FIRST,
    ****************************
    reboot, and PRESS the F8 key on your keyboard
    as you see the writing and report back.
    ****************************

    ***** read down **

    1. The point we are stressing here is that the line
    " Press F8 for BBS POPUP "
    is NOT a standard PC message from the factory.
    So, press the F8 key and see what happens.
    You might get to a screen that prompts you :
    " Turn on monitor ?"
    If it IS BBS related ( do you know what BBS is - a Bulletin Board
    Service - that's old way to reference an internet server.) - your PC may
    be programmed to turn off the monitor to prevent screen burn-in -- we
    don't know --- and need you to press f8 as it starts to boot and update
    us. We have NO idea since it's not a standard message. Tell us what
    happens and maybe we can help again. Obviously something is causing
    THAT message to appear and might very well be causing your machine's CRT
    to go black. MAYBE it's turning the PC black to prevent the monitor
    from burning in the text on the screen. Before windows it was text only
    and CRT's were not programmable to power off after x minutes.

    2. When your pc WAS working, was it windows 98 or DOS or NT or linux or
    what ?

    3. If it still appears dead, can you see the disk activity light
    blinking on the pc ?
    Do you normally have to logon with a username and password ? If so wait
    a few minutes and login - does any keyboard LED light up when you press
    numlock or capslock ? The PC doesn't run OFF right ? just the screen
    goes black ?

    4. Still dead ? then press the DEL key as it boots - to run setup.
    THAT will get you into BIOS setup.
    Select RESET BIOS to default ( factory settings), but I think it's the
    BBS software on the PC

    - Bobb -, Nov 6, 2006
  10. st.lucky

    st.lucky Guest

    I have checked my PC again.
    I tell you with a warm rebot the PC doesn't stop on that black screen,
    it rusn fast. I use Win XP Pro. I have not to logon with a username
    and password. When the PC seems dead I see some leds but I don't see
    the leds of the HD running. Iside my PC I hve 3 HD with removable
    boxes. I have just gone into BIOS and I noticed there is a quick
    reboot configured.
    If I click on F8 I see a page: Please select boot device
    Then

    PM-Maxtor
    SM-Nec DVD
    SS-Samsung CD
    FT TX Ary1

    I hope to solve my problems,
    thanks for a reply

    st.lucky, Nov 6, 2006
  11. st.lucky

    st.lucky Guest

    One friend of mine have told me the problem could be the mother board
    battery.
    What is your opinion?

    st.lucky, Nov 6, 2006
  12. st.lucky

    - Bobb - Guest

    ***** When you press F8 - it should be during the boot process ( not
    from BIOS). ***
    Rest of reply below:

    **
    Sorry for these questions -
    But if you have a dead monitor on a cold boot ,
    how do you get it to do the warm boot ?
    I could guess but tell me how you're doing it.

    Press F8 after the power on process completes (as you see the 'testing
    memory' message on the screen) but before Windows XP displays any
    graphical output and you should get a boot menu from WINDOWS - not
    BIOS - something like: "Safe Mode ", see
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

    The reason for warm vs cold difference is that during "restart" it does
    NOT check the hardware settings/memory etc - windows is in control. All
    windows PC's do that - so the difference is that it's not being TOLD to
    use the same process. Don't worry about the details.
    **
    **
    That looks like a prompt from your PC asking which device to boot ( -
    not from XP asking safe mode etc option). Again - press F8 as the PC
    boots.

    **

    - Bobb -, Nov 6, 2006
  13. st.lucky

    st.lucky Guest

    Sorry for these questions -
    I'm sorry my bad english. I have told you my PC works marvelously.
    After 2 hours working, if I do a reboot, I have not any problems with
    the black screening. Itell you I see my PC dead when it is jams for 6
    minutes.

    Yes, when I click again on F8 button, the PC boot in safe mode.

    Perhaps my problem is with BIOS. I inform you my PC has 3 HDs
    C, D, E.
    On D there is a Aray1. I don't know what is the right word in english
    language.
    May be the BIOS has deleted the Aray1? May be RAID.
    But I don't know BIOS well.
    Thanks

    st.lucky, Nov 6, 2006
  14. st.lucky

    - Bobb - Guest

    Read below

    *******
    BUT, HOW do you start it that first time ?
    I know you say the" PC works marvelously." ...

    I will try in simple English :
    Turn off the PC
    Then turn it back on - the monitor goes black.
    How does it get to
    "PC works marvelously"

    You know that RESTART works - HOW ?
    If the screen is black how do you choose restart ?
    *** more below **
    **
    OH , so after 6 minutes , the screen turns ON ??
    By itself ? Is that how you can run restart ?
    ****
    F8 ?

    And that works even when cold ?
    What about that message " press f8 for BBS popup"
    - is that still there ? Was it always there ?

    After safe mode , if you run shutdown - it turns off.
    Now if you power on - still black ?
    Then after 6 minutes the video turns on ?
    Do you know how to check your video settings when it does work ?
    ( In case it lost the settings and finally drops to basic vga mode)
    1. right-click on a blank part of your screen
    2. now - click on PROPERTIES - settings
    3. What does it show for display/video card
    4. Click on ADVANCED - look around there.

    If it is ALWAYS OK in safe mode, then it is a program/ setting
    now go to
    START - RUN -
    type MSCONFIG then click on OK

    There you will see tabs - look in startup
    Are you familiar with the programs that are listed ?
    Uncheck items that you are not familiar with.
    (Anyone else out there have a pointer to t/s'ing msconfig /startup
    issues ? ) rather than me typing
    *****
    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Nov 6, 2006
  15. st.lucky

    st.lucky Guest

    I have just installed Security Task Menager. This software showed me 5
    suspicious files. I have put them to Quarantena and now IE opens
    correctly. IE doesn't load that videoediting page.
    Will I have some repercussions with my PC now?
    Those suspicious files are:

    Adobe IE Plugin
    MSN Toolbar Extension
    Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition Binary
    ActiveSync Connection Manager
    Windows Live Sign-in Assistant

    I hope I have done a right step.
    Thanks

    st.lucky, Nov 6, 2006
  16. st.lucky

    Baron Guest

    Grab a copy of "memtest" memtest.org ! Run it and see what it finds !

    Baron, Nov 6, 2006
  17. st.lucky

    Baron Guest

    Bobb, I don't think his machine is getting anywhere near wins ! I'm
    guessing that its set to boot from "Raid" and timing out ! Six minutes
    seems to be a long time, but..... The other potential issue is bad
    ram ! I suggested in a previous post that he grabs "Memtest" and runs
    that. That will confirm that it isn't hanging due to a bad ram chip.

    Baron, Nov 6, 2006
  18. st.lucky

    - Bobb - Guest

    IE problems ! - video issues ! Am I missing something ? I give up!

    Problemi dello IE! Video edizioni - manco qualcosa? Dò in su!

    - Bobb -, Nov 7, 2006
  19. st.lucky

    st.lucky Guest

    I'm sorry, delete this message.
    I have become crazy. Too many problems.
    I had to post that message in a different newsgroup.
    I'm sorry!!!

    st.lucky, Nov 7, 2006
  20. st.lucky

    st.lucky Guest

    BAD NEWS.
    Today I have replaced the two blocks of old RAM with two blocks of new
    RAM but the problem is the same.

    st.lucky, Nov 7, 2006