    lens) .

    Thanks.
    -Steve

    Steve, Feb 23, 2008

  2. Steve

    Jim Guest

    No, it is not normal.... I check all my lenses from time to time just to
    see if something like this has happened.
    So far, they all do just fine.
    Jim

    Jim, Feb 23, 2008

  3. Lucky you.

    Any advice for the OP?

    --
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing
    good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good

    Steven Weinberg

    Ockham's Razor, Feb 23, 2008
  4. Steve

    flambe Guest

    If you bought on Ebay you may be out of luck and have to learn to live with
    exposure compensation.
    Most real stores have time-limited policies on returns.

    flambe, Feb 23, 2008
  5. Steve

    frederick Guest

    Have you any other lenses to compare them with?
    There is some variation between different lens designs in exposure,
    that's normal - but 1 stop difference seems much more than normal.
    I have read that the 85mm (IIRC the f1.4) tends to overexpose, with some
    users dialing in EV -0.5 to compensate (I don't know if the same applies
    for the f1.8 version)
    Check the aperture blade alignment by looking through the lens set at
    f22 and closing the aperture by moving the lever on the back of the
    lens. Not many lenses have blades aligned perfectly resulting in a
    perfect polygon as the lens is stopped down, but if it was bad enough to
    cause 1 stop over exposure, you should see it. If you quickly release
    the lever, the aperture should open up fully instantly.

    frederick, Feb 23, 2008
  6. Steve

    Jim Guest

    Take it to a pawnshop. You buy a brand new one with a USA warranty for only
    a little bit more than the repair costs.
    Jim

    Jim, Feb 23, 2008
  7. Steve

    Tom Yost Guest

    There is not, by chance, a filter on the 50mm lens is there?

    Tom Yost, Feb 25, 2008