Problem 'seeing' all the machines on the network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Noel S Pamfree, Oct 14, 2008.

  1. I have a home network with one XP pc, one Vista pc and a Vista wi-fi
    laptop - all Dells as it happens.

    The two pcs are connected by LAN cables to my Linksys WAG160N modem/router.
    All the machines have good working Internet access but:
    The XP pc cannot 'see' any of the others
    The Vista pc can see everything and print on the XP machine
    The Laptop can only see the Vista pc.

    All machines are up-to-date with Microsoft patches etc. SP3 is on the XP
    machine so it does have the LLTD package installed which I understand from
    Microsoft's Knowledge Base article 922120 stopped XP machines 'seeing' the
    rest of the network.

    Here are my two questions:

    (1) How can the Vista pc 'see' the XP one but not vice-versa
    (2) Why can't the Vista laptop 'see' the XP machine?

    One thing I can think of is that the XP machine was set up with a MS HOME
    network when I was using a Netgear router so maybe it is looking for a
    non-existent network as the new router has a different network name. However
    I can't find any sign of other networks on any of the machines, though I
    notice that the laptop has a 2 after the name of the new network.

    Any help appreciated - I am far from an expert.

    Noel

    Noel S Pamfree, Oct 14, 2008

  2. Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Oct 14, 2008

  3. Noel S Pamfree

    smlunatick Guest

    Not only in the firewall but several anti-virus may block the NetBIOS
    name resolution as part of any Internet worm blocking feature.

    smlunatick, Oct 14, 2008
  4. Noel S Pamfree

    Ben Guest

    Hi Noel,

    In regards to XP having MS HOME, that is the workgroup name usually assigned
    to XP. Vista is usually assigned WORKGROUP as its workgroup name. What you
    will need to do is to have all 3 machines using the same workgroup name.
    Therefore if you change the XP machine to WORKGROUP that should enable the
    XP to see the others.

    Ben, Oct 16, 2008
  5. I have now assigned IP addresses to all three machines on my network.

    Although my Dell XP machine still does not show up on the laptop I can ping
    it without any errors.

    I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and it has a firewall, as does my
    Linksys WAG160N router.

    I continue to see all three machines in my network workgroup on the two PCs
    but not on the laptop - even though I can ping the machine OK.

    Thanks,

    Noel

    Noel S Pamfree, Oct 18, 2008
  6. Noel S Pamfree

    smlunatick Guest

    Problem with several firewall / anti-virus softwares is that they
    block the NetBIOS name resolution protocol by default. You need to re-
    configure this blocking module so as to allow the NetBIOS name
    resolution protocol for your network.

    Please note that several anti-virus software system may have the
    NetBIOS name resolution protocol known as the Internet worm security.

    smlunatick, Oct 20, 2008