problem of networking in XP SP2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alok_rhct, May 2, 2006.

  1. alok_rhct

    alok_rhct

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    hi all,
    i having two machine with 2 os each (i.e Linux/XP SP2). station1 and station2 respt.

    station1 has 2 lan card with ip as
    a)61.16.224.250
    255.255.25.224
    61.16.224.225
    b) 192.168.0.1
    255.25.255.0
    61.16.224.225

    station2 lan ip is :
    192.168.0.2
    255.255.255.0
    192.168.0.1

    as i have share internel connection and its works fine but the problem comes when:
    1) i tried to ping 192.168.0.1 or 61.16.224.225 from both machine.
    getting : Request time out
    2) I have make entry in hosts file as
    192.168.0.1 station1.home.com
    192.168.0.2 station2.home.com
    but can't ping machine by name(i.e stationX.home.com)

    3) tried to share filr and folder. when tried to saw my workgroup giving error as :
    home is not accessble.You might not have permission to use network resource.Contact the system administratror of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

    4) my machnine comes on very slow.(Using SATA)

    Can anyone help me to troubleshoot my problem.pls let me know step by step.

    my configuration of station1 is
    945Gnt intel motherboard
    3.0 ht processer
    hddr2 RAM(512*2)
    80 Gb Hard Disk.

    it will be a grat help.
    thanks in advance:question:

    alok_rhct, May 2, 2006

  2. alok_rhct

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    1) Pinging is prevented by some firewalls, and sometimes tends to be blocked (Ping of Death)

    2) Stick with the IP's for the moment try to get it working using them First

    3) Linux With Windows Networks DO NOT work very well. You tend to find File Sharing will be a pain in the ass, one way you can sort this out is to use a FTP server on your Linux machine or vice versa.

    I know from experience SP2 is the biggest pain in the ass when networking to non SP2 machines.

    4) What Loads at start up? What HDD are u usin ie brand. Which system are we talking about Windows or Linux?

    unholy, May 3, 2006

  3. alok_rhct

    alok_rhct

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    as u stated

    I know from experience SP2 is the biggest pain in the ass when networking to non SP2 machines.

    let me remind u that my both machine are xp sp2 and i am trieng to share file between both in xp. one my workgroup is comming up fine(i.e on station2) .in station1 ,its giving error.

    also getting problem in station1 as when i log of user and switch to another user my processing is badly affected even i can't listen song properly.

    alok_rhct, May 4, 2006
  4. alok_rhct

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Have u tried setting one as 192.168.0.1, and allowing it to auto assign the other machine an IP via DHCP?

    U will also want to make sure both machines are set to run on the EXACT same workgroup.

    Another thing u might want to make is sure is that there is not Firewalls active and that there is no passwords on the users accounts for each system. At least starting from strach can help determine the problem. :)

    (Next time dont mention Linux when ur talking about netowrking, it confused me, i thought u had a linux system and a windows system.)

    unholy, May 4, 2006
  5. alok_rhct

    alok_rhct

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Have u tried setting one as 192.168.0.1, and allowing it to auto assign the other machine an IP via DHCP?

    no, my both machine have static ip that are:

    station1
    NIC 1:
    61.16.224.250
    255.255.255.224
    61.16.224.225(Gateway)
    61.16.224.225(DNS)
    Nic 2:
    192.168.0.1
    255.25.255.0
    no gateway
    61.16.224.225(DNS)
    station2:
    192.168.0.2
    255.255.255.0
    192.168.0.1(gateway)
    61.16.224.225(DNS)

    Work group of both machine is same (i.e home)

    Another thing u might want to make is sure is that there is not Firewalls active and that there is no passwords on the users accounts for each system.

    will i disable my windows & northorn Internet Security, to deactivate fierwall.
    their is no any account on both system

    alok_rhct, May 4, 2006
  6. alok_rhct

    djoseph_19

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    for communication with Linux use SAMBA server....tht might help you..

    djoseph_19, May 30, 2006
  7. alok_rhct

    SMARTABBY

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Help!! Belkin Router Pn- Loosing Connection

    every second. I am NOT networking savvy. WHat can i do? Belking tech was a JOKEv:elephant: , they kept pushing me around. I am so sad with this issue cuz I use d PC 4 school and business ISsue.

    Thanx again,

    ABBY:shot:

    SMARTABBY, May 31, 2006
  8. alok_rhct

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Alok, to help yourself out try setting both machines to Auto Assign IP, dont set them as static at this point in time, lets get them working first.

    This way One can assign the others IP, or Vice Versa.

    djoseph I might point out that Alok is using two Machines with SP2 and nether of them are LINUX based. Although Programs Such as SAMBA are useful if u want to use LINUX in Windows Network.

    Before i start, i dont take kindly to people that Spam, posting 4 times is not nesscary.

    To HELP you make a new thread, and List your Problem with details, and whats wrong also make sure you List the model of Router and so forth.

    unholy, May 31, 2006
  9. alok_rhct

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The first thing you do...

    My experience has found that firmware updates to routers are the first thing to look for and to perform. Dropped connections and things of this nature are magically solved when the firmware updates are accomplished. Check the web site for your router and download the update, if there is one. Use your administrator functionality in the router software (usually you open a browser and go to the IP address and type in the admin / password to gain access to these areas) and find the firmware update section. Point to the downloaded file and do the update. Then restart the router to make sure it's using the new firmware version.:razz:

    Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
    bigal, Jun 2, 2006
  10. alok_rhct

    PubDomainFan

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Easton, MD
    First. Pinigig (ICMP) is blocked by Windows firewall in SP2.

    Second, simple file sharing is a bitch in xp. In order to share files from a XP box that is not on a AD Domain, you MUST have an account that has a PASSWORD, in order to log on remotely.

    Third FTP is a great idea. Hop on over to SourceForge.net where you can pick up the latest copy of FileZilla Client and Server for XP. I think you will find it easy and intuative to use and it will solve most, if not all, of your problems.

    PubDomainFan, Jul 5, 2006