    problem by setting the solution 1280 x 1024 with full useful screen.

    Thanks a lot.
    Geolau.

    gl, Jan 15, 2006

  2. gl

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In gl spewed forth:
    Adjust the font size, icon size, etc settings. Right-click the desktop and
    select Properties, on the Appearance tab, font size is at the bottom: set it
    to large or even extra large. Icon size is in there somewhere too. If I
    didn't need to go check the bacon and eggs in the kitchen, I'd look that up
    for you <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 15, 2006

  3. gl

    doS Guest

    wouldnt the vid card be a factor?

    doS, Jan 15, 2006
  4. gl

    philo Guest

    does your monitor have an "auto" setting...
    try that.

    otherwise you may find that a resolution of 800 x 600
    works better

    philo, Jan 15, 2006
  5. gl

    Toolman Tim Guest

    No. The issue is that the best (sharpest, cleanest, etc.) settings for that
    monitor is 1280x1024. But at that resolution, the text/icons, etc. are too
    small. That's a function of the GUI not the display adapter. So by changing
    the text size and icon size to be larger, it's now readable, and still
    sharp. Using a lower resolution makes the text and GUI very jagged.

    In doS spewed forth:

    Toolman Tim, Jan 15, 2006
  6. Sure...but half of his screen is *blank*. That doesn't make it sound
    like just a font/icon size issue. Bigger fonts and icons in a display
    that fills the screen are to be sought, sure -- but he's also got to get
    that desktop sized to fill it. I've never had this issue myself - not to
    the "half size" extent - but I wonder if the physical controls on the
    monitor itself (h- and v-size) need to be spun some.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 15, 2006
  7. Tim, ignore some of my other reply to your post -- I forgot it was an LCD
    monitor. I know nothing about those; I've only used the one on my laptop.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 15, 2006
  8. gl

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    No - you were probably correct. My HP LCD has a significant amount of
    control on the h/w settings.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 15, 2006
  9. gl

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    I presume you've adjusted display width and height to the maximum?

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jan 15, 2006
  10. Rilly? Damn, I'm good. :) I have nothing like that for my old laptop's
    LCD display.

    Speaking of monitor controls, someone recently gave me an old (700MHz)
    Athlon box, which I'm running as a secondary box mostly for play, with two
    new-to-me OS flavors in a dual boot setup: W2K and SuSE Linux. The 17"
    monitor (a nice one -- I think it's sharper than my CTX) is a Gateway, and
    it has the coolest settings control. All you have is a nice large knob,
    with a large indent in the face for your finger tip. Press the knob to
    get the menu on the screen, whiz through the menu by spinning the knob,
    press it to engage the setting you want (say, vsize) and spin it again to
    make it happen (left smallerizes, right biggerizes). Slicker than owl
    shit and absolutely intuitive. I love it!

    It doesn't get any simpler than this:

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/gateway.jpg

    As for the computer, it's a homebuilt, and it's a physical monster.
    Case is 24" tall, has *eleven* bays, superb interior design and execution,
    and sturdy. It weighs about as much as my car. :) All in all, it was a
    pretty good hand-me-down I got for setting someone up with their first
    laptop.

    She's Ginger, here:

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/bhard.html

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 15, 2006
  11. gl

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    Yeah - one of my co-workers has one like that - it's way old. We bought it
    with a PII 300 MHz W98 computer in 1998 or 1999. But it is sharp, and still
    going. Well built to be sure!
    That's how I get much of my stuff - fix/setup someone's new stuff, keep the
    old. Buy replacement parts on ebay <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 15, 2006