Problem: No mouse & 16 colors only, Win98- 500Mhz

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lbbss, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    We have a second computer for the kids with win98 Pavilion 6630, 500mhz,
    128ram, 20gig hd. Now we have a problem with the computer. I think our
    1 year old has pressed the on/off switch too many times in a row. I am
    not sure when and how it actually happened, but now I have no mouse arrow
    and only 16 colors. The sound is working though. So I reinstalled
    win98 over top of the old one. I still have all my old icons. I even
    tried to switch to a usb mouse but no luck.
    I looked under the device manager and it looks like the right video
    driver (Intel 82810). There is a yellow flag by the ps/s mouse, one for
    pci controller and one on the usb (only when usb mouse is pluged in).
    I assume what happens is if you reboots too many times in a row
    improperly, you loose some of your setting. Any ideas what the problem
    could be, or where can I start looking. It is awkward to try to do
    anything in windows when you have no mouse. Thanks

    p.s. I tried to change the setting to 16bit colors and 800x600 resolution,
    but it does not keep the settings.

    lbbss, Nov 28, 2004

  2. lbbss

    °Mike° Guest

    Boot into Safe Mode and remove the mouse from
    Device Manager. Boot back into normal mode and
    the mouse should be reinstated. Connect to the
    net and download the latest video drivers for your
    graphics card, and then update DirectX from Microsoft.

    °Mike°, Nov 28, 2004

  3. lbbss

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | We have a second computer for the kids with win98 Pavilion 6630, 500mhz,
    | 128ram, 20gig hd. Now we have a problem with the computer. I think
    our
    | 1 year old has pressed the on/off switch too many times in a row. I am
    | not sure when and how it actually happened, but now I have no mouse arrow
    | and only 16 colors. The sound is working though. So I reinstalled
    | win98 over top of the old one. I still have all my old icons. I even
    | tried to switch to a usb mouse but no luck.
    | I looked under the device manager and it looks like the right video
    | driver (Intel 82810). There is a yellow flag by the ps/s mouse, one for
    | pci controller and one on the usb (only when usb mouse is pluged in).
    | I assume what happens is if you reboots too many times in a row
    | improperly, you loose some of your setting. Any ideas what the
    problem
    | could be, or where can I start looking. It is awkward to try to do
    | anything in windows when you have no mouse. Thanks
    |
    | p.s. I tried to change the setting to 16bit colors and 800x600 resolution,
    | but it does not keep the settings.

    said delete!) the PS/2 mouse. Reboot - and see if it finds it.

    On the video problem, it probably has generic drivers installed rather than
    the correct one for your video card. So, you need to know what card you
    have, and set up the correct drivers. Do you know what card you have? If
    not, download Belarc Advisor or Everest and find out.

    http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

    Once you know what video card you use, you can select the correct drivers
    for it.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004
  4. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    I reinstalled the video drivers and now the video is ok. I tired deleting
    the mouse in device manager in windows and I tryed it in safe mode, but when
    I re boot I still have no mouse. Now why would the mouse and video fail
    at the same time. could it be cause by rebooting too many time in a now
    (when kids are plying with the power button?).
    How do I get my mouse back. I tried unpluging my ps/2 and using a usb
    with no luck.

    p.s. I also have a pci communication devie yellow flaged in device manager.
    thanks

    lbbss, Nov 28, 2004
  5. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    I also noticed that my autoexec file and config.sys files are both empty.
    I tried to mind a mouse.com or mouse.exe or any mouse file on my hard drive
    but did not find one.
    do I need a mouse.com in my autoexec or config?

    lbbss, Nov 28, 2004
  6. lbbss

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |I also noticed that my autoexec file and config.sys files are both empty.
    | I tried to mind a mouse.com or mouse.exe or any mouse file on my hard
    drive
    | but did not find one.
    | do I need a mouse.com in my autoexec or config?

    No. You only would need those if you are using DOS. Windows takes care of
    the CD-ROM, mouse, memory management and other stuff that used to be in
    autoexec.bat and config.sys as well, so being empty is not unusual.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004
  7. lbbss

    Billh Guest

    Tim have you ever used these tools where you have done a fresh install of
    windows and it does not have any idea what your sound card is and just says
    multimedia device and it is not working. Even a nic or video. Will they be
    able to tell you what it is even when Windows can not?

    Billh, Nov 29, 2004
  8. lbbss

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | > | 128ram, 20gig hd. Now we have a problem with the computer. I
    think
    | > our
    | > | 1 year old has pressed the on/off switch too many times in a row. I
    | > am
    | > | not sure when and how it actually happened, but now I have no mouse
    | > arrow
    | > | and only 16 colors. The sound is working though. So I
    reinstalled
    | > | win98 over top of the old one. I still have all my old icons. I
    | > even
    | > | tried to switch to a usb mouse but no luck.
    | > | I looked under the device manager and it looks like the right video
    | > | driver (Intel 82810). There is a yellow flag by the ps/s mouse, one
    | > for
    | > | pci controller and one on the usb (only when usb mouse is pluged in).
    | > | I assume what happens is if you reboots too many times in a row
    | > | improperly, you loose some of your setting. Any ideas what the
    | > problem
    | > | could be, or where can I start looking. It is awkward to try to do
    | > | anything in windows when you have no mouse. Thanks
    | > |
    | > | p.s. I tried to change the setting to 16bit colors and 800x600
    | > resolution,
    | > | but it does not keep the settings.
    | > |
    (yes,
    | > said delete!) the PS/2 mouse. Reboot - and see if it finds it.
    | >
    | > On the video problem, it probably has generic drivers installed rather
    | > than
    | > the correct one for your video card. So, you need to know what card you
    | > have, and set up the correct drivers. Do you know what card you have? If
    | > not, download Belarc Advisor or Everest and find out.
    | >
    | > http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
    | > http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    | >
    | > Once you know what video card you use, you can select the correct
    drivers
    | > for it.
    | >

    | Tim have you ever used these tools where you have done a fresh install of
    | windows and it does not have any idea what your sound card is and just
    says
    | multimedia device and it is not working. Even a nic or video. Will they
    be
    | able to tell you what it is even when Windows can not?

    Yup. Everest recognised my ATI Rage 128 Pro All-in-Wonder video card
    correctly just now in a machine that has no drivers for the ATI installed,
    running with "Standard VGA" in 16 color, 640x480 mode. Didn't try Belarc
    Advisor...you want me to?

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2004
  9. lbbss

    Duck ducking Guest

    Let it go, man, you'll only send the kid paranoid about computers if
    you keep going on about it, something you don't want to do with
    computers being a massive part of his/hers future. Hell ,it's been
    good for you, your learning about computers and how to recover from
    their little crashes and such. guys here get to show how clever they
    and to feel good. It's a win win situation. The only loser is your
    mouse and he's lost so who gives a cracker about him.

    Duck ducking, Nov 29, 2004
  10. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    All I want right now is my mouse to work agan, can someone help with that?
    I tryed all those sugestions with no luck. works in safe mode but not in
    normal mode.

    lbbss, Nov 29, 2004
  11. lbbss

    loris Guest

    Ok, try this. Get into Device Manager again and see if the
    yellow-flagged PS/2 mouse is still there. If it is, and there's a
    problem with it, deleting it and rebooting won't help. It just loads
    it back up from the drivers again. Look at one of the tabs (can't
    remember which, I'm now on XP) and find the one that lists the actual
    driver files, and the folders they're in. Write them down on paper,
    and their locations.

    command line - cd \Windows\system32 etc). Try renaming the file
    extensions all to .BAK. Then when you reboot into normal mode it
    should re-load the drivers from the 98 CAB files, or from the floppy
    disk that came with the mouse. If it makes things worse you can always
    go into DOS mode and rename them back.

    I found that sometimes this is the only way to reinstall faulty
    graphics drivers.

    -DaveB

    loris, Nov 30, 2004
  12. lbbss

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | All I want right now is my mouse to work agan, can someone help with that?
    | I tryed all those sugestions with no luck. works in safe mode but not
    in
    | normal mode.

    I have a thought...(and oh, how that hurts <g>)

    The PS2 port requires an interrupt request to operate. Maybe something
    screwed up the IRQs? Can you go to the Device Manager and tell us what each
    IRQ is set up for?

    Right-click My Computer, click Properties, Device Manager tab, double-click
    My Computer. The only component using interrupt 12 should be the mouse...

    Toolman Tim, Nov 30, 2004
  13. lbbss

    Billh Guest

    Thanks for the info. I have a similar program stored on the server at work.
    And I tried it today and it found a sound card that windows did not know
    what it was so I guess they do work.

    Billh, Nov 30, 2004
  14. lbbss

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | > | > |

    | > 500mhz,
    | > think
    | > reinstalled
    | > video
    | > one
    | > in).
    | > | > |
    | > (yes,

    | > you
    | > If

    | > drivers

    | > |
    | > | Tim have you ever used these tools where you have done a fresh install
    | > of
    | > | windows and it does not have any idea what your sound card is and just
    | > says
    | > | multimedia device and it is not working. Even a nic or video. Will
    | > they
    | > be
    | > | able to tell you what it is even when Windows can not?
    | > |
    | > Yup. Everest recognised my ATI Rage 128 Pro All-in-Wonder video card
    | > correctly just now in a machine that has no drivers for the ATI
    installed,
    | > running with "Standard VGA" in 16 color, 640x480 mode. Didn't try Belarc
    | > Advisor...you want me to?
    | >
    | Thanks for the info. I have a similar program stored on the server at
    work.
    | And I tried it today and it found a sound card that windows did not know
    | what it was so I guess they do work.

    You're welcome! One thing to remember though is that the program would need
    to be updated once in a while to pick up information on new components that
    have been manufactured since the programs release. (Must be a *big*
    database! <g>)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 30, 2004
  15. lbbss

    Duck ducking Guest

    Gonna be funny him right clicking on a dead mouse and nothing
    happening. Understand where your coming from but just tickled my
    funny bone.

    Duck ducking, Dec 1, 2004
  16. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    When I get a chance I will reinstall motherboard drivers. thanks

    btw: this is what the irq setting are set to
    (don't mind the spelling, it's not exact but you get the idea)
    3 things assigned on irq 15.

    1-keyboard

    2.program interupt controller

    3.intel 8020 .... graphics controller.

    3.irq holder pci steering

    4.comunication port. Com1

    5.crystal audio.. codec device

    6.floppy

    7.printer

    8. cmos clock

    9.crystal audio codec

    9.intel cm 8201ab .. bus controller

    9 irq holder for pci steering

    10. mpu-401 compatible sound

    11.usb intel 8208 host controller

    11.irq holder pci steering

    12.ps/2 compatable mouse

    13. Numeric data processor

    14.intel8208 busmaster id controller

    14.primary ide controller (fifo)

    15.busmaster id controller

    15.secondary id controller dual (fifo)

    btw: i tried usb mouse and ps/2, but does not make a difference.

    lbbss, Dec 1, 2004
  17. lbbss

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:54:10 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    |
    | >The PS2 port requires an interrupt request to operate. Maybe something
    | >screwed up the IRQs? Can you go to the Device Manager and tell us what
    each
    | >IRQ is set up for?
    | >
    | >Right-click My Computer, click Properties, Device Manager tab,
    double-click
    | >My Computer. The only component using interrupt 12 should be the mouse...
    | >
    | Gonna be funny him right clicking on a dead mouse and nothing
    | happening. Understand where your coming from but just tickled my
    | funny bone.

    His mouse is working in safe mode...

    Toolman Tim, Dec 2, 2004
  18. lbbss

    thermyandres

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I Have the exact same ploblem...win98

    Same thing happened yesterday my mouse went dead and my computer looks like its in safe mode when its actually in normal. same as u if i go to safe mode my mouse will actually work....im looking foreward to see if you get a conclusion to this problem.

    thermyandres, Nov 26, 2008
  19. lbbss

    thermyandres

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    windows 98 video and mouse error

    i found a fix for mine...it just hapened yesterday...so i turned my computer on held ctrl down from the start untill the menu comes up for like if u want 1 normal mode 2 safe mode and so on...used arrow keys to go to command prompt which is like number 4 or 5 on the list of options...then the c prompt came up and i typed in "scanreg/restore" it gave me 5 dates to restore my computer too and i clicked on two days ago...now my computer is fully functional again...maybe this will help u...if not good luck.

    thermyandres, Nov 26, 2008