Problem: "Internet Explorer has stopped working..."

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaryL, Feb 16, 2008.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I am using a new computer (Dell 530, only about a month old) with Vista Home
    Premium (full version, not OEM). Starting a few days ago, I have been
    getting error messages that says, "Internet Explorer has stopped working
    correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
    available." Then IE closes down. Of course, I have never received any such
    "notice."

    This problem surfaces as soon as I open IE or shortly afterwards. I did not
    have the problem until a few days ago, and I have not added any new
    programs. A google search showed many similar reports for other programs,
    but they were reports of problems and not solutions. The Microsoft
    knowledge base shows the issue being linked to version 5.1.5.0 of StompSoft
    by Migo Digital Valut or an earlier version of the program. It says that
    the issue may also occur if a third-party program such as Reno or Spydawn is
    installed. I have not installed any of these programs -- in fact, I have
    never heard of them. Nevertheless, I followed the instructions in MS
    knowledge base to determine whether Digital Vault is installed. The
    instructions were to start task manager, click on the Application tab, click
    on New Task, and type cmd in the Create New Task dialog box. When I then
    typed dir "Program Files" at the command prompt (as directed), then pressed
    ENTER, *nothing* (no programs) appeared as output. The instructions did not
    say where I should "be" when I entered this command, so I tried it from both
    the desktop and when IE was running.

    I have both AVG and Windows Defender set to run every day. I manually turn
    on Ad-Aware 2007 and SpyBot S&D several times a week.

    Help! This is a new problem but is a frequent problem, and I hope someone
    can help diagnose and eliminate it.

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Feb 16, 2008

  2. MaryL

    7 Guest

    Use firefox
    http://www.mozilla.com
    (download it on to a flash disk and install in your PC)
    Its a lot quicker and safer than IE and also there are tons
    of plugins available to enhance the browser.

    7, Feb 16, 2008

  3. MaryL

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Most likely an ActiveX control has been install on the machine that is not
    Vista compliant and it taking IE 7 down.

    Mr. Arnold, Feb 17, 2008
  4. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Do you know how I would search for that (and remove it)?

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Feb 17, 2008
  5. If you can open the IE properties dialogue (rightclick, no need to start IE
    directly), you may search the programs / addons and deactivate one after
    the other.
    There should be a folder "Downloaded program files" under the windows
    directory, and you may try to move suspicious files elsewhere.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 17, 2008
  6. MaryL

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    Somewhere in Start, Programs, there should be an "Internet Explorer
    (no add-ons)" icon. It's like an IE "safe-mode".

    IE used to have a Repair option somewhere, no sure about in Vista.

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Feb 17, 2008