    seems like good software at a reasonable price, but it seems awefully
    slow. Is there any software that is significantly better and faster?

    Dick

    Dick Adams, Feb 6, 2009

  2. Dick Adams

    Paul Heslop Guest

    I just did a quick google, this is an old drive? anyway, someone asked
    the question you asked and was told the drive is +R format.

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/nec-dvd-rw-nd-1100a-drive-cannot-write-dvd-r-118437/

    I also found this on another page

    NEC's ND-1100A 4X MultiSpin DVD+ drive provides high-speed 4x DVD+R
    and 2.4x DVD+RW burning, plus 16x CD-R and 10x CD-RW burning!

    so yeah, dvd+ format only

    Paul Heslop, Feb 6, 2009

  3. The name says it all. It's a DVD+RW drive, which means it can write to
    DVD+R and DVD+RW disks. Only. (Well, it should write CD-R and CD-RW; they
    only come in one flavor.)

    It should read DVD-R/RW disks OK (but someone else will have to write them
    for you).

    I checked online. Plenty of indication that the drive is + only - but I
    can't find them on NEC's site. It's not very navigable and I'm lazy.

    Go to www.videohelp.com and search & browse a bit. You'll learn a lot -
    it's worth some time.

    Gene E. Bloch, Feb 6, 2009
  4. Dick Adams

    buddy b Guest

    Supermedia (online) had a Pioneer DVD writer on sale the other day for
    $29, or less. I have used them for years.
    If you can, buy 2 and replace the old dvd player, if such, too.
    Regards
    buddy b

    buddy b, Feb 7, 2009
  5. Dick Adams

    Dick Adams Guest

    Thank you and everyone else who replied.

    My son's computer will copy to -R and -RW DVD's, but my DVD player
    only wants to play the -RW's! How complicated can this be?

    I need a new DVD player since my son will want to take one to
    college in September.

    Are there DVD writers that will copy onto both -R(W) and +R(W)
    DVD's?

    Are there DVD players that will read both -R(W) and +R(W)?

    Can anyone tell me whay there are competing technologies?

    Dick

    Dick Adams, Feb 7, 2009
  6. Dick Adams

    Paul Heslop Guest

    yeah, nowadays most of them do the job I think.

    I have an LG external dvd drive which write to all formats including
    DVD-RAM but really the best thing is to take a look around on the net
    for new dvd drives, look at their capabilities and don't expect to
    have to pay a fortune for a pretty good one, prices can be very good
    indeed, even with the lightscribe and dual layer burning

    Players, well Panasonic will usually play the most formats as usually
    nobody else bothers with DVD-ram. again, check out capabilities some
    will play divx etc etc.

    Paul Heslop, Feb 7, 2009
  7. Dick Adams

    anthony Guest

    Almost all recorder/players handle both formats. Buy a recorder online
    for around $30 and in its specs you'll see mentioned that it will
    handle DVD + and -, and RW -- usually DL as well. Just read the specs
    before you hit the 'buy' button. As for why were there competing
    formats -- no-one can answer that! Just check out the format wars for
    just about every recordable/playable format ever invented, way back to
    Edison's cylinders versus Berliner's flat discs!
    Just don't worry about it. Keep using your recorder with +R discs
    only, or buy a cheap Pioneer or LG recorder which handle everything --
    and it takes just five minutes to pull your machine apart and swap
    units over......

    anthony, Feb 8, 2009

  8. You're an idiot. ALL DVD readers can read a dual layer disc regardless
    of what they may or may not be able to write. Otherwise they would not
    be able to read a commercial DVD, which would negate them being able to
    apply the DVD logo to their product.

    It wasn't 'competing technologies' it was evolving technology.

    That is why we still have CD formats, even though they carry the
    smallest datagram, they still survive.

    Goddamned cross-posting retards.

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 8, 2009
  9. Frys has had an LG BD, HD DVD, DVD, CD reader/writer (The HD modes are
    read only). Pretty cheap.

    That is the best deal if one wants to watch hi res content, and it
    comes with software.

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Feb 8, 2009
  10. Dick Adams

    Paul Heslop Guest

    ah, I do like a reasoned discussion.

    Paul Heslop, Feb 8, 2009
  11. Goddamned sniptard.

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 8, 2009
  12. Dick Adams

    Paul Heslop Guest

    that's me and proud of it

    Paul Heslop, Feb 8, 2009
  13. Dick Adams

    anthony Guest

    I never did understand why we had both + and - formats for blanks -- I
    have read that the + format discs are somehow superior in the way
    they're structured, but I guess the question of who is the actual
    manufacturer of the blanks is more important than the format. Anyway,
    as long as the new cheapie player will write on both, AND write on DL
    discs (which may one day come down in price enough to make them
    practical for mass use), then the original poster can't go wrong.

    anthony, Feb 9, 2009
  14. Dick Adams

    Dick Adams Guest

    Interesting! My stand-alone DVD player that is hooked up to my TV
    will play copied DVD -RW's, but not DVD -R's. Have yet to try +R(W)'s.

    Thanks,

    Dick

    Dick Adams, Feb 9, 2009
  15. Dick Adams

    BlueBuyYoo Guest

    I have a Philips that plays any kind of burned DVD. I also have a
    Panasonic that only likes -R DVDs.

    BlueBuyYoo, Feb 9, 2009
  16. Dick Adams

    Paul Heslop Guest

    money? :O) that 'we won!' crap we just had with blu-ray V HD-DVD?

    Paul Heslop, Feb 9, 2009
  17. Dick Adams

    Paul Heslop Guest

    is the Panasonic an old one?

    Paul Heslop, Feb 9, 2009
  18. Dick Adams

    Dick Adams Guest

    That's interesting. My computer will not recognize -R(W)'s. My
    Son's computer will burn both -R and -RW formats. Unfortunately
    the panasonic player in my bedroom will not read the -R format.

    Thanks for the info.

    Dick

    Dick Adams, Feb 9, 2009
  19. Dick Adams

    Paul Heslop Guest

    My question re the panasonic is personal knowledge of the newer models
    which can and should deal with all formats.

    Paul Heslop, Feb 9, 2009
  20. Dick Adams

    BlueBuyYoo Guest

    Yup, it's about 5 years old. Like I said, it's picky, but as long as it
    gets fed -R DVDs, it's fine.

    BlueBuyYoo, Feb 10, 2009