Problem configuring Aironet 1200 as repeater

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Tim Levy, Apr 27, 2004.

  1. Tim Levy

    Tim Levy Guest

    I wonder whether anyone can help with a problem that I am having with
    trying to set up an Aironet 1200 as a repeater.

    I have a number of Aironet 1200 APs installed in a number of locations,
    all working happily. I now need to deliver wireless coverage to a small
    location that cannot be wired into, so I thought of using another 1200 as
    a repeater.

    I have set up a lab test comprising a 1200 running in root mode and a
    second 1200 configured as a repeater. There is a PIX acting as the
    gateway to the outside world and providing a DHCP service for the wireless
    clients.

    If I place a client lap-top near to the root AP so that the lap-top
    associates with the root AP, everything works as expected (with the
    unexpected exception that I am unable to access the web management
    interface in the repeater AP or even ping it).

    If I then move the client lap-top near to the repeater AP, it associates
    with the repeater fine. At this point I can now connect to the web
    management interface in both the root and the repeater access point.
    However, I can no longer ping the lap-top's default gateway and,
    obviously, all connectivity to the outside world is lost. Nor am I able
    to ping any other IP on the wired part of the subnet (for example, the
    switch management interface). However, I am still able to release and
    renew the DHCP lease on the lap-top.

    If I reassociate the lap-top with the root AP, the original situation is
    restored: I can access hosts on the wired part of the network and I can
    access the outside world all as expected, but I can no longer ping the
    repeater AP.

    I have reviewed the Cisco document 'Configuring Repeater and Standby
    Access Points', and believe I have done everything necessary to configure
    the repeater correctly. [The document refers to the non-existent 'dot11
    extensions aironet' command. The command appears actually to be 'dot11
    extension aironet'. Aironet extensions are turned on as reported by the
    web GUI in both the root and repeater APs, but the command does not appear
    to reflect back in the running-config.] The config files are below, with
    some details omitted to protect the innocent.

    Both APs are running 12.2(13)JA3 and both have 802.11g radios with the
    cardbus radio slot unoccupied.

    On the client side, I have tried Win XP Pro SP1 with a Cisco 340 card and
    Win 2000 Pro SP4 with the same 340 card, and also with a Linksys WPC11
    version 3, and with an ORiNOCO Gold. The results are the same in all
    cases.

    When the client is associated with the repeater, the network map on the
    root AP shows the repeater, as does the adjacent AP list also. The
    association page shows the repeater device type as 'ap1200-Rptr' and it
    shows the client as device type 'Rptr-client'.

    At the same time, the network map on the repeater AP shows both itself and
    the root AP as device 'Access-Point'. The Adjacent AP list is, however,
    empty. The association page shows the root AP as device type
    'ap1200-Parent' and the client as '240-client'.

    Root AP config:
    Repeater AP config:
    Can anyone offer any suggestions?

    Tim Levy
    London

    Tim Levy, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Tim Levy

    mh Guest

    Have you tried changing the default gateway so it is in the 172.25.30.0/24 subnet ?

    mh, Apr 28, 2004

  3. Tim Levy

    mh Guest

    See if removing the "dot11 arp-cache" has any effect

    BTW the dot11 arp-cache feature is supported on repeater by the
    12.2(15)JA release

    mh, Apr 28, 2004
  4. Tim Levy

    Tim Levy Guest

    Thanks for pointing this out. I should have spotted it in the release
    notes, but must have been suffering from a momentary lapse of reason:

    12.2(13)JA4:
    CSCec72841 - The ARP cache feature is not supported on repeater access points.

    12.2(15)JA:
    CSCec72841 - The ARP cache feature is now supported on repeater access points.

    Anyway, turning off the dot11 ARP cache on APs with 12.2(13) made the
    problem I described in my OP go away.

    Thanks again.

    Tim Levy, May 6, 2004
  5. Tim Levy