    Windows xp 32-bit still boots ok. I did then try to boot off the x64 cd and
    now all i get is a blank screen for that too. Does anybody have any idea what
    might be wrong?

    Guest, May 18, 2006

  2. Have you tried booting in to safe mode? Also, are there any external usb
    devices attached when trying to boot up? If so, remove them and try booting
    up again. If that does not resolve the problem, it could be that the PC
    needs a BIOS update or it could also be bad storage drivers (as was reported
    recently).

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 18, 2006

  3. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Could you provide some specific information. There are 3 sections to the
    install. Text, GUI and final boot. Did you get into the GUI boot and are
    failing in the final boot?
    Information on your drives. SATA, IDE, 1 drive 2 partitions, 2 drives, what
    partition(s) are active. Did you install with any drives disconnected or
    change the hard drive sequence? Which drive has the active boot.ini (system
    drive in drive manager from the 32bit system that boots.) What does it look
    like (copy here) Please give information above from the same drive manager
    (ie drive 0 partition 1 xp32 active system etc.)

    John Barnes, May 18, 2006
  4. As Andre suggests, boot into safe mode if you can. If you can get into safe
    mode, that tells us that most things are getting loaded, including your hard
    drive controllers, and the problem could well be video drivers. You can
    update those from within safe mode.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 18, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    It passes text part of install but fails on loading GUI part after reboot. I
    have 2 IDE Hard drives and 2 CD-ROM drives. The first hard drive has two
    partitons and the second one I only use for storage. Partition 1 is x32 and
    has the active boot.ini. Partition 2 has x64. x32 shows that x32 is a
    primaray partition and x64 is an extended partiton. x32 is active. I'm not
    100% sure what all this means so i'm not sure if it is right.

    Guest, May 18, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have tried all that you said with no success. Just out of curiosity, I had
    an old small hard drive and I tried installing it to that on it's own and it
    went all the way through the installation no problem. Would you be able to
    tell me where I can find out more about the bad storage drivers that were
    reported recently?

    Guest, May 18, 2006
  7. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    You have two ide drives. You say drive 1 has partition 1 x32 system
    Boot.ini partition 2 Data
    Then you say partition 2 has x64. You don't say anything about
    drive 2
    So, did you install x64 over the partition that you used to use as data by
    creating a new extended partition or are we talking about drive 2
    If you go into system properties advanced startup, edit the boot.ini make
    a copy of the boot.ini so we can see it, then don't save when you end. List
    the information about your drives from the Drive Manager by drive (ie drive
    0 Partition 1 x32 system, active, boot, etc)
    Also, I take it you have the CD then the first hard drive as the first two
    items in boot priority in your BIOS
    Normally on return from restart from text to GUI you would have a 1 second
    parameter in the bootloader timeout and you would barely catch a glimpse of
    the entries on the boot choice screen as it boots into the newly installed
    x64 system.

    John Barnes, May 19, 2006
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm sorry, I made a mistake. My hard drive arrangement is:

    HD1 - 2 partitions
    Partition 1 - Windows XP 32-bit
    Partition 2 - Windows XP x64

    HD2 - 1 Partition, just used for storage

    Guest, May 19, 2006