Problem: Accessing RapidShare through Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pg, Apr 26, 2008.

  1. pg

    pg Guest

    Hello all !

    First of all, let me say that I am not sure which newsgroup I should
    post this message, I am using the shotgun approach, in crossposting
    this message to 5 newsgroups, trying to look for the solution to solve
    my problem. If this is not the correct newsgroup to post my question,
    please accept my sincerest apology.

    With the above done, here's my problem.

    In the office we use our notebook to access the Net via WIFI. Normal
    web operations post no problem. We can go to any site, do anything.
    Satisfactory speed too.

    Downloading files normally don't post any problem as well. Depending
    on the speed originating server (where files are residing), files
    normally downloaded without any fuss.

    For large files, such as ISO files (680+ MB in size), we often use
    download managers to expedite the task. Again, normal file downloading
    posts no problem.

    However, whenever we try to access file-sharing servers such as
    RapidShare or MegaUpload or whatever, things slow down to a crawl, and
    sometimes downloads just DIE in the middle.

    Since we can't use download managers in downloading files from the
    likes of RapidShare, we have no control over how the file transfer
    process would be done. Often files would be successfully downloaded,
    albeit V_E_R_Y S_L_O_W !!

    But many times, the file transfer process slows to such an extend it
    just STOPS !! I mean, the thing just grind to a halt in the middle,
    and there's no way around it other than re-download the file.

    This has been a very frustrating experience.

    The WIFI router is LinkSys, we set up according to the owner's manual.
    So far, we don't see any weirdness about the router. We have checked
    the settings of the WIFI router several times, again, we found no clue
    as to what is going on.

    BTW, if we use the DESKTOP PC, which is connected to the Net via ADSL,
    to download files from RapidShare, the problem of S_L_O_W_N_E_S_S
    didn't happen. And ten times out of ten we can download ANY FILE of
    ANY SIZE (up to 100MB) from RapidShare without a hitch !

    I know that we can use the "sneaker + USB-drive net" to get around the
    problem, ie, download the files from RapidShare on the desktop PC,
    copy the files to the USB drives, and then transfer the files into our
    notebooks. And often times we had to do that, when we are frustrated
    enough on the "die in the middle" events.

    But all in all, we would preferred that we can find a solution to
    solve this S_L_O_W_N_E_S_S problem.

    Dear Gurus,

    Do you have any suggestion as to how to solve this problem?

    Please help !!

    Thank you !

    PS. All our notebooks run Win XP. The desktop runs Win XP as well.

    pg, Apr 26, 2008

  2. pg

    why? Guest

    Yes, so it's still a bad idea. Check the groups first and figure out
    which is relevant.

    alt.internet.wireless - maybe fileshare / wireless, more likely
    rapidshre / megaupload application performance and configuration.

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web - Maybe, as you only mention XP
    at the end :).

    comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip - not this ng, you mentioned
    nothing about TCP/IP , it's working okay.

    microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless - better.

    24hoursupport.helpdesk - really?

    http://www.google.com/search?q=rapidshare+slow+download+wifi

    :) it's already done, the x-post I mean.
    Why is it such a long story?
    Can't how? Don't know of any, tired and they don't work.
    Not this then?
    http://rapidshare.com/rsm.html
    The RapidShare Manager is a user friendly tool to upload and download
    files from RapidShare.com. The multiple setting possibility's allow the
    professional up- and downloading for beginners and experienced users.
    In your story you don't mention if it's free / paid account, any
    connection limits / time of day ISP issues.

    Mo model / firmware details?
    The same ADSL the Wifi connection is with/out the same router?

    Easier to network the PC to the Linksys Wifi router and share over the
    Wifi link locally.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Apr 26, 2008