    this out pretty quick as i keep importan programs on one machine to aid in
    repairs.

    thanks!

    Julian Hales, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Julian Hales

    Rob Morley Guest

    In no particular order or operating system:

    check NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled
    check File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks enabled
    check all machines in same workgroup - identical spelling/capitalization
    check username/password identical on all machines
    try accessing by IP address e.g. \\192.168.0.2\sharename
    check the lmhosts files

    Rob Morley, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Julian Hales

    Ian James Guest

    What operating system are they running? If it's Windows XP Pro then you can
    enable 'simple file sharing' using 'tools', 'folder options' then under the
    'view' tab, at the bottom of the list of 'advanced options' select 'use
    simple file sharing (recommended)'. Do this in window explorer.

    Another way, if you don't like the security implications of the above, is to
    create identical user accounts on each box.

    HTH

    Ian

    Ian James, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Julian Hales

    Seaney Beane Guest

    You don't say how you get IP addresses for each PC -- I suspect you are
    using DHCP from the router, if it is only very basic DCHP it dosen't
    provide all the NETBIOS host name services.
    As you hasve found On its own Windows IP local networking is pretty flakey
    a quick fix is to load NETBUI on each pc and let this do the netbios
    "thing" providing host name info. However running both TCP and Netbui can
    lead to conflicts which can slow down the netwwork to a crawl and as you
    don't have fixed IP addressing keeping up to date hosts files on each PC
    won't work. So I would suggest running a dns server on one PC and adding
    this to the windows networking dns server entries for each pc.

    The freeware/GPL simple to use windows DNS servers are Treewalk and
    Posadis. You don't say wich version of Windows you are using but
    Treewalk works on any of the NT/2000/Xp side of windows (note the trewalk
    home page dosen't claim it work on NT but I use on NT4 wiothout a hitch).

    Seaney Beane, Jul 12, 2004
  5. Julian Hales

    Julian Hales Guest

    "Ian James"
    One has XP, i did try that although i never used it in the past couple of
    years or so but its still not doing much
    Not sure what you mean with that. The firewalls should allow network
    access, which i guess it does as ping is fine

    Julian Hales, Jul 12, 2004
  6. Julian Hales

    Julian Hales Guest

    NetBIOT not used
    all ok
    all ok

    Everything was ok until the new router was put in place, i switched on
    another machine and that found and could be seen by 2 others.

    Not altered nothing.
    Mix of 98, SE, ME and XP pro, all can ping and lan gaming but the XP machine
    is connected to a hi fi which used mp3's from the scsi machine but cant see
    that.

    XP machine wont even let me bring up the network place screen, i did try to
    set up new network thing which i had never needed before but no luck

    Julian Hales, Jul 12, 2004
  7. Julian Hales

    Julian Hales Guest

    let it assign the ip itself, which had been fine for years

    Knew that which is why i didnt have Netbui, the only problem i did always
    have was that when i wanted to search any machine for files etc doing that
    through the XP pro machine was it would take many seconds to actually list
    the other machines, all others are instant but not that way.

    I have only 1 machine with XP, the rest are various 9X

    Julian Hales, Jul 12, 2004
  8. Julian Hales

    Rob Morley Guest

    I suspect you mean "NetBEUI not used" - NetBEUI is the tranport protocol
    that NetBIOS used to run on before TCP/IP became ubiquitous. NetBIOS is
    the API that Windows needs to make SMB file and print sharing work.
    Check that the primary logon is set to "Client for Microsoft Networks"
    (I think that's what it's called)
    Did you try this?
    Have you tried the "repair" option on the XP machine?

    Although it does sound like a problem associated with the master browser
    or name services of some sort or another. If that's the case it might
    be worth using static LAN IPs, putting them in the lmhosts file on each
    machine and enabling lmhosts lookup.

    Rob Morley, Jul 12, 2004
  9. Julian Hales

    Julian Hales Guest

    It was login, so alterd it, if it changed it would have done that by itelf

    nope, but wouldnt i alter the first single digit to match mine? the network
    used to have a 0 but now another figure

    not sure how to do that

    yes before

    Can you please explain a bit further about lmhosts, i know how to assign a
    IP bit

    thanks for the help

    Julian Hales, Jul 13, 2004
  10. Julian Hales

    Rob Morley Guest

    Yes, that was just a typical IP address, assuming the router was
    192.168.0.1
    On each PC create a file called lmhosts with a format like this

    192.168.1.2 hostname1
    192.168.1.3 hostname2
    192.168.1.4 hostname4

    using the appropriate IP addresses and machine names. Enable "lmhosts
    lookup" wherever it's hiding in the network settings, and it will should
    resolve PC names to IP addresses.

    In Xp the lmhosts file lives in windows\system32\drivers\etc
    I think it's just in windows\ in Windows9x
    There should be a file called lmhosts.sam which is a sample file
    explaining some of the more advanced stuff - that's the folder where you
    need to put your lmhosts file.

    Rob Morley, Jul 13, 2004
  11. Julian Hales

    Ian James Guest

    I had trouble getting this to work at first. I 'think' I got it working
    using control panel somehow in the end (oh, and a well-used copy of 'Windows
    XP Inside Out'!!).
    What I mean is that you need to create a user account on the 'server'
    machine using the exact user-name and password as that which you use to log
    into the 'client' machine.

    Oh and I nearly forgot, you need to create a rule in your firewalls to allow
    windows file-sharing both inbound and outbound. I limit this to internal
    traffic by using an IP range. This needs to be *before* any others rules
    which will block it implicitly (something else I learned the hard way!!).

    Ian

    Ian James, Jul 13, 2004
  12. Julian Hales

    Ian James Guest

    Oops. Nearly forgot - you *don't* need NETBEUI.

    Ian

    Ian James, Jul 13, 2004
  13. Julian Hales

    Derek Guest

    Derek, Jul 13, 2004
  14. Julian Hales

    Julian Hales Guest

    Im not up on names or terms, is a case of swop the hostnameX for the
    something else

    I alterd the windows login, came up with the passeord thing that i got off
    years ago, so i know it wasnt that
    thanks

    Julian Hales, Jul 14, 2004
  15. Julian Hales

    Julian Hales Guest

    "Ian James"
    will take a look
    Its not a 'server' as such, its just a old machine full of scsi drives that
    i use for files and stuff, it used to be but not a designated one

    Kerio recognised the new IP and Nic info so i allowed it on each machine,
    only one has ZA nad i let the new IP range full access

    Julian Hales, Jul 14, 2004
  16. Julian Hales

    Rob Morley Guest

    You need to use the name you gave the computer when you set up Windows
    networking - in XP it's under
    Start->Settings->Control Panel->System->Computer Name where it says
    "Full computer name". I can't remember where it is in Windows9x, but
    it's somewhere similar.

    Rob Morley, Jul 14, 2004
  17. Julian Hales

    Seaney Beane Guest

    You don't need it but when windows tcp/ip networking goes belly up it will
    deliver the goods NETBUI is an excellent protocol for small network
    much better than TCP/IP it is more secure than tcp/ip because it isn't
    routeable on the internet the only problem comes when both are bound to
    file & printer sharing, the ambiguity of two protocols trying to do the
    sdame job can slow or stall the network.

    Seaney Beane, Jul 14, 2004
  18. Julian Hales

    Julian Hales Guest

    thanks, sorry for sounding stupid

    Julian Hales, Jul 15, 2004
  19. Julian Hales

    Julian Hales Guest

    thanks.

    I have a DM, laser and Inkjet on the 'server' which used to run fine, just
    alterd the switch, then for some reason the inkect started coming out with
    iffy charachters, as if the printer buffer was over run, i used to mess
    about with that in the 80's with a 2kb buffer on the speccy.

    I give other people old junk machines etc that are usable, so store
    inportant files i need on the scsi server machine and with the lan can push
    and pull files as i like, but with this problem and havinfgdificulties
    seeing each other.

    I think it maybe a csae of wiping all settings from each machine and doing 1
    by 1, although the input i would enter would be the same as i have triple
    chekced, like IP, DNS etc.

    Julian Hales, Jul 15, 2004
  20. Julian Hales

    Rob Morley Guest

    Not knowing something is lack of specific knowledge, not an indication
    of stupidity. Not asking about something may indicate stupidity :)

    Rob Morley, Jul 15, 2004