    Better if the ink is meant for an inkjet printer, because most printers that will
    print on CDs and DVDs have a separate print head and since I dont want to
    have to fart around flushing the heads after every print on a CD or DVD...

    Rod Speed, Jan 25, 2008

  2. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Whoops, another brain fart. I want to do that in a Canon printer that takes BCI-6 and BCI-3 ink tanks

    Rod Speed, Jan 25, 2008

  3. Rod Speed

    DanG Guest

    You cannot use an inkjet printer to print to non-inkjet media. And NO, they
    don't use a separate head for discs.

    What you want is available in any of the many available thermal printers and
    ribbon printers.

    DanG, Jan 25, 2008
  4. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    You can, actually, it just takes a long time for the ink to dry, like days.
    Never said they did. I JUST said that the heads are separate from the ink tanks.
    Sure, but I want to use normal cheap inkjet printers that can print on CDs and DVDs.

    Rod Speed, Jan 25, 2008
  5. Rod Speed

    Rob. Guest

    I have not come across any solvent based inks for inkjet printers. I
    would have thought, if available, would tend to dry up like the pens
    left uncapped.

    Printable CD's are much the same price now.

    Sticky labels are too expensive and they end up stuffing the CD.

    I use pens.

    Rob., Jan 25, 2008
  6. If you want to use solvent ink such as the ink that's in Sharpie pens,
    be prepared to pass a lot of gas because you're going to flush-fart five
    times for every disk that you print on. Maybe if you use original
    manufacturer ink for this, you will learn to break wind enjoyably: your
    shit will be sweet and people will come from miles around to smell the
    perfume of your flatulance.

    Oh my god, I just saw the mess of cross-posting here. No matter -- out
    it goes.

    Richard

    Richard Steinfeld, Jan 25, 2008
  7. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Yeah, thats essentially why I asked the original question, it wasnt clear if its actually feasible.

    Some inkjet printers do basically cap the print head when its not in use,
    but that tends to be the printers that have the head integrated into the tank
    and those arent usually the ones that can print on CDs and DVDs directly.
    Not necessarily if you are buying the best priced blanks that
    you can find from whats on special at places like Woolys etc.
    Yeah, I've never used those.
    So do I, but I would prefer to be able to print on them, like I said.

    Rod Speed, Jan 25, 2008
  8. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    There was a good reason for that cross posting.
    No it didnt.

    Rod Speed, Jan 25, 2008
  9. LOL. Good one Richard.
    Great to read a bit of humour here from time to time. :)

    Just as easy to write neatly using a standard CD-R pen.
    They come in about 6 different colours AFAIK as well as different tip
    thicknesses.
    Officeworks stocked them the last time I looked.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Rutlidge, Jan 25, 2008
  10. Rod Speed

    Terryc Guest

    The old stick on label?

    Terryc, Jan 25, 2008
  11. Rod Speed

    Sunny Guest

    Had the same decisions to make (Used CD Stomper labels for a while) but
    finished up buying a Canon Pixma ip-4000 printer.
    Don't have a problem with heads clogging and only "clean" them when
    replacing ink tanks.
    (I buy the printable CD and DVD blanks now)

    The Canon CD print software is excellent IMHO :)

    Sunny, Jan 25, 2008
  12. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Yeah, mine is an ip3000, got it because it was the last with the ink tanks with no chips.
    Part of the problem is the hundreds I have already.

    There's obviously no good reason why I cant write
    on those and only buy printable blanks in future.
    Yeah, very decent.

    Rod Speed, Jan 25, 2008
  13. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    I just use Sharpies.
    Almost everyone, including even Woolys, has Sharpies.

    Rod Speed, Jan 25, 2008
  14. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Never liked those.

    I basically prefer hand written labels using Sharpies to those,
    but was wondering if its possible to print on non printable blanks.

    Clearly it is possible, just rather slow to dry. Guess thats no big deal.

    Rod Speed, Jan 25, 2008
  15. Rod Speed

    Terryc Guest

    My experience as well, but they never truely dry and smudge with a wet
    finger.

    You could try cutting the amount of ink down as far as possible, but I
    guess there is any setting lower than Cd anyway.

    Terryc, Jan 25, 2008
  16. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    I dont care about that, since I dont use wet fingers on them.
    There is actually, but it doesnt help noticeably.

    Rod Speed, Jan 25, 2008
  17. Rod Speed

    Morton Guest

    Staedler of Germany markets a 4-pen set of markers that are safe for CDs
    and DVDs. They dry rather quickly, and are said not to bother the discs'
    layers. They seem to come only with Medium (really thick) points, making
    small writing not legible.

    Morton

    Morton, Jan 25, 2008
  18. Rod Speed

    Rob. Guest

    They make lots of sizes. Try overhead pens for the finer types.

    Rob., Jan 25, 2008
  19. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    I said I have been using Sharpies and they work fine.

    I want to print using a printer instead.

    Rod Speed, Jan 25, 2008
  20. Yes and I want to eat broccoli and have it taste like filet mignon.

    That ain't happening either.

    Obscured by Clouds, Jan 26, 2008