Printing multiple pics on one page with a MAC!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Curious, Apr 6, 2005.

  1. Curious

    Curious Guest

    Sounds easy enough, right? Please, can anyone shed some light? This
    is an information request and a challenge. Read on...

    Say I'm printing 10 pictures, varying sizes. I want to tell the
    software to print all pictures using the least amount of paper. The
    software decides how to arrange all 10 pictures, yet without any
    overlap. If the software is *good*, then I can specify if I want
    boarders on each print, and the size of those borders. I can also tell
    it when to print all of the pictures (when processor needs are low or
    when the printer won't be a disturbance). If the program sizzles, than
    it will tell me that if I cut the borders on print 3 and 8 and/or
    shrink the overall dimensions of 2, 9, and 4 by X" or X%, than I can
    use three sheets of paper, instead of four. I could also have presets
    for differing purposes. If I am printing pics that have to be a
    certain size, no matter how many pages it takes, than I could specify
    0" or 0% print shrinkage. If I'm making a collage with many pics, than
    I won't care if the option I'm given changes the pic by 3/4" or 20%.
    Oh ya, this will allow me to drag and drop.

    Here's the challenge-THE FIRST MAC SOFTWARE PROGRAMMER TO COOK THIS UP,
    WINS THE PRIZE!

    "So, what's the prize?", you ask. Who cares about a stupid
    prize--you'll have a fistfull of cash! Think of all the companies and
    people who would pay top dollar for such an application! Guys and
    gals-get to it! Just let me know what you come up with, o.k.?

    Here's my configuration--I'm using a Power Mac G4, Photoshop CE,
    and a HP Photosmart 7550 printer. I do NOT want a proof-sheet
    (thumbnail) program.

    If there is such an application out there, I would appreciate hearing
    about it.

    Thanks!

    Curious

    Curious, Apr 6, 2005

  2. Curious

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Can't iPhoto do this?

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Apr 6, 2005

  3. Curious

    Curious Guest

    Hi Bill-

    I don't think so. At least when I printed from iPhoto before, I wasn't
    presented the opportunity. It could be that iPhoto 5.0 does. I'll
    check it out.

    Curious, Apr 6, 2005
  4. Curious

    Stewy Guest

    Have you thought about making a composite with Photoshop?

    Take a look on Google for Pentominoes. These are small shapes made up of
    5 squares (a domino has 2) There are 12 distinct shapes that will fit
    inside various rectangles - 3x20, 4x15, 5x12 and 6x10. There are various
    programs to generate solutions to these puzzles - this could be what
    you're looking for. BTW - Pentominoes will fit the 6x10 rectangle in
    2339 distinct ways, the 3x20, just 3.

    Stewy, Apr 8, 2005
  5. Curious

    Curious Guest

    Hey Stewy-

    That sounds...facinating. I did a search on <composite photo>
    pentominoes and just pentominoes. Didn't get anywhere. What I think
    you are saying is there is a program that I can use with Photoshop
    (maybe a plug-in) that will generate random pentominoes. You tell it
    what folder or folders to take the pics from, and it will make a colage
    of pictures? Being that most of my pics are 2560 x 1920, will the
    program also crop the pics for you and/or add black fill in on the
    sides (when needed)?

    This sounds like a cool program. Any leads you know of?

    (I'm) Curious

    Curious, Apr 8, 2005
  6. Curious

    Stewy Guest

    Dear Curious

    Talk about pototoes. I spelt pentominoes when it should have been
    pentominos. Sorry for that.

    Try these links to begin with
    http://clarkjag.idx.com.au/PolyPages/index.htm?pentopatts.htm

    http://home.earthlink.net/~kenzelt/fuz.htm

    http://kaminari.scitec.kobe-u.ac.jp/PrologCafe/Pentomino.html

    I'm no programmer and I have no idea how to adapt these programs to
    create a composite - Are there any extraordinary wizzkids out there who
    can do this?

    Once again, sorry for the Dan Quayle blunder

    Stewy, Apr 10, 2005