printing images using gimp

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bernard, Jun 4, 2008.

  1. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

    Hi there,

    I am using GIMP 2.2.6 under Debian Linux, with gimp-print. My printer is
    an old HP DeskJet 1120C.

    The print function does work... but quality is not at top, by a long shot.
    Contrast is not good, and colours are kind of miserable, at least, if I
    compare the overall result with what I obtain in using a very old
    outdated tool that requires that I start my old 1998 Fujitsu computer with
    Windows 3.1. The tool is called "Image Editor" (ImagePals 2, version 2,
    Ulead Systems Inc.) It works on the technology "RET II" or "RET 2", and
    the prints are a lot better looking, even when using photo paper and high
    density printing, even in A3 size.

    I imagine that I surely can do a lot better with the GIMP, maybe with the
    help of a plugin.

    Is there any document available on the www, or any other document that I
    should read ?

    Bernard, Jun 4, 2008

  2. Bernard

    m II Guest

    Bernard wrote:

    > I am using GIMP 2.2.6 under Debian Linux, with gimp-print. My printer is
    > an old HP DeskJet 1120C.

    > I imagine that I surely can do a lot better with the GIMP, maybe with the
    > help of a plugin.
    >
    > Is there any document available on the www, or any other document that I
    > should read ?

    I use a Canon 5000 and finally got good results with Turboprint. They
    probably support the HP also. Check with them to see.

    http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

    mike, using Ubuntu.

    --
    Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, this filter
    blocks all postings from Gmail, Google Mail and Google Groups.

    http://improve-usenet.org/

    m II, Jun 4, 2008