    I simply don't want to spend the time sitting in front of the printer
    and screen.

    Thanks for any help.

    shipwreck, Nov 10, 2003

  2. shipwreck

    Lisa Horton Guest

    More and more places every day are offering this service. More and more
    also offer the service of burning your images to a CD you can take home.

    Costco in-store labs do a good job with their new Noritsu machines, and
    they have a little kiosk/terminal thing where you pick the photos you
    want to print, sizes, etc.

    Recently I took a disk of photos to Ritz, since my local Costco's
    machine was down for days and I needed the prints that day. The prints
    were AWFUL. Twice the price of Costco too. Yet another reason to avoid
    Ritz.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Nov 10, 2003

  3. shipwreck

    LLutton Guest

    Ritz charges a lot more for 4"x6" prints than Walmart. You could drop off your
    memory card and pick it back up with the prints the same day at the one hour
    lab. They charge 29 cents per print.

    I don't like to give them my memory card so I burn the images to a CD and give
    them the CD.

    I only do that when I have a lot of images. I would prefer to make my images
    look as good as possible first and print from my inkjet.
    Lynn

    LLutton, Nov 11, 2003
  4. shipwreck

    FOR7b Guest

    Costco I believe is now down to 14 cents per 4x6 and now they are doing 8x12
    for less than US$2.

    FOR7b, Nov 11, 2003
  5. shipwreck

    Bill Janes Guest

    Most digital minilabs can read from compact flash, secure digital and
    other memory cards used in digital cameras. I see some other people have
    already recommended Costco and Walmart. Many Walgreen drug stores have
    Fuju Frontier digital minilabs (same as Costco and Walmart). I've had
    pretty good luck with Walgreens. Frontiers are pretty well automated and
    most of them use Fuji Crystal archive paper which has a long display
    life. The trick is to find a lab where the volume is sufficiently high
    to have a full time staff rather than someone pulled off the checkout
    line.

    If you want to manipulate the prints in Photoshop or some other editor,
    you can submit the edited files as TIFF or JPEG on CD. Fuji currently
    has four Frontier models on the market. Models 330 and 390 are capable
    of making prints up to 8” x 12”, while the models 350 and 370 can print
    up to 10” x 15”.

    The Dry Creek photo web site has a list of minilabs (mostly Fuji and
    Noritsu) for which they have made ICC profiles (these help to insure
    better color matching between the screen and the final print).

    http://drycreekphoto.com/

    Bill Janes

    Bill Janes, Nov 11, 2003
  6. shipwreck

    Ripley7173 Guest

    Costco in-store labs do a good job with their new Noritsu machines, and
    I have yet to see anyone beat their $0.19 a 4x6 price. And they do a great job
    IMHO. Even a 12x18 is only $2.99!

    Ripley7173, Nov 11, 2003
  7. shipwreck

    Don Guest

    Just goes to show you that one should get a series of prints made at different
    places from the same digital files and compare.

    I did that just recently. Had a series of 6 prints made at the local Ritz,
    Walmart, & CVS.

    Walmart and CVS were both $.27 per 4x6. Ritz was $.44 per 4x6.

    Looking at the photos side-by-side it was a no-brainer. Ritz was the best by a
    such a large margin it easily justified the price difference. CVS prints were
    the next best. The Walmart prints were horrible. This is in the Pittsburgh, Pa
    area.

    I've read numerous times about Walmart prints being good, so I was a bit
    disappointed in them. They were so bad that I'm wondering if it was just a bad
    day for that store. I'll give them another chance sometime in the future.

    I'm trying out an online service now called EZ Prints. (www.ezprints.com) They
    will send you (free) both color and B&W calibration prints (8x10's). If the
    regular prints are as good as the calibration prints they sent I'll be using
    them for all my outside printing in the future. Their prices are the same as
    Walmart, plus they do panoramas up to 12x54".

    Don, Nov 11, 2003
  8. shipwreck

    FOR7b Guest

    Walmart and CVS were both $.27 per 4x6. Ritz was $.44 per 4x6.
    Walmart prints in my location were horrible. Not sharp at all and contrast was
    obviously adjusted beyond the original file. The Costco on the other does
    beautifully sharp prints that always match my screen and the price is half of
    Walmart's for 4x6 at 14 cents. 6x9 is $1, 5x7 is 69 cents and 8x12 is less than
    $2. I'm sure it is the operators that are making the difference in each
    location. Also the Walmart uses a Fuji Frontier and the Costco uses a Noritsu.

    FOR7b, Nov 11, 2003
  9. shipwreck

    Searching_Ut Guest

    That might explain it. My local Sams club just lowered their price from 20
    cents to 16 cents per 4X6. I'll bet the fact that Costco is opening up in
    the area finally has nothing to do with it. ;-)

    For what it's worth

    Jeff

    Searching_Ut, Nov 11, 2003
  10. shipwreck

    DJ Guest

    Why would you spend 3 times as much on a digital camera than on a film
    equivalent, when all you want to do is take a film into a store and have
    prints made for $6.95?

    DJ

    DJ, Nov 11, 2003
  11. shipwreck

    Sy Friedman Guest

    EZ prints is the best of the services that I have tried. However, prints
    from the same file on my old Epson 1270 on Ilford Gallerie Classic Pearl
    Paper are so much better that there is no comparison.

    --
    Sy Friedman

    Sy Friedman, Nov 11, 2003
  12. shipwreck

    FOR7b Guest

    EZ prints is the best of the services that I have tried. However, prints
    I have an Epson 1270 and digital prints to traditional photo paper at my local
    Costco "are so much better that there is no comparison." :)

    FOR7b, Nov 11, 2003
  13. The Walmarts around here all have the Aladin machines where you can insert the
    card, select the prints, and it will upload it to the printer, and you can take
    your card with you. The only problem is if you want to get in and out and get
    behind some people who are printing their whole photo album, and are optimizing
    the crop ratios, red eye, etc.
    Many inkjet prints won't last long, some will, depending on the printer, ink,
    and paper combination used.

    Michael Meissner, Nov 11, 2003
  14. I don't know, about half the time I try to go to ezprints, they seem to be
    down, and their prices for the small sizes are on the high side. On the other
    hand, they produced two absolutely stunning 18x24's.

    Michael Meissner, Nov 11, 2003
  15. Because I only print a fraction of the shots I take, and I also want immediate
    feedback when I take the shot, so that I can adjust things in the field while I
    have the subject at hand. Some people also like being able to edit photos
    afterwards with tools like Photoshop.

    Michael Meissner, Nov 11, 2003
  16. shipwreck

    Don Coon Guest

    Comparing Wal-Mart prices to Costco is an apples vs. oranges comparison.
    Sam's is the Costco equivalent in the Wal-Mart world. Having said that. My
    local Sam's is still higher than Costco -- 19 cents vs. 14 cents.

    Don Coon, Nov 11, 2003
  17. shipwreck

    FOR7b Guest

    Walmart prints in my location were horrible. Not sharp at all and contrast
    It is fair to compare since the ultimate product, a finished print, should be
    the same from either company.

    FOR7b, Nov 11, 2003
  18. shipwreck

    Don Coon Guest

    Agree on quality. I was talking price comparison.

    Don Coon, Nov 11, 2003
  19. shipwreck

    Steve Guest

    Because the film cost $4 at least, and the developing (for a 24exp. roll) is
    $7, which is $.45 a shot, including all the ones I didn't want but were on
    the roll. Digital is $.30 or less, and I can pay only for what I want. I can
    order online if I want to, but otherwise it's only one trip to the store
    instead of two (once to get it developed, another to get any reprints or
    enlargements). AND, I don't have to worry about the idiots screwing up,
    scratching, or losing the negatives.

    As far as the price difference on the cameras goes it was easily worth it
    just to get the immediate feedback, ability to change ISO settings on the
    fly, AVI's and other conveniences. Even so, at about 100 rolls per year, the
    price difference is paid for fairly rapidly.

    Steve, Nov 12, 2003
  20. shipwreck

    Eric Witte Guest

    Fuju Frontier digital minilabs (same as Costco and Walmart). I've had
    Out of the first set of images I took over to Walgreens only 2 of them
    were printable. All of them previewed but only 2 of them ended up
    being printable. I had ran them through Photoshop and adjusted the
    white balance. All of them were 5-6MB in size. The second try I ran
    them all through neatimage. They dropped to about 2-3MB each. Every
    one of them were printable. They all looked great. It cost about
    $0.20ea since I printed over 50.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Nov 28, 2003