    it prints 7-15/16" in size, close to 8", when I do (72 DPI) x (Inch),
    it's just a hair off, 31/32 of an inch, but 72 DPI isn't set anywhere?

    Thanks, for your help.

    js5895, Apr 23, 2005

  2. I have the same problem js.
    However I discovered I can work around that by using Corel Draw.
    It allows me to print accurately enough to create shop drill patterns.
    Gene http://www.photoprojects.net

    Gene F. Rhodes, Apr 23, 2005

  3. js5895

    eds Guest

    Use a drafting program such as AutoCAD Lt, or even some of the freebees.

    eds, Apr 23, 2005
  4. Do you need to use a computer/printer to get the circle? If all you
    need is one, do it the old fashion way: use a compass. If you need
    lots of sheets of 6" circles, use a compass and then run off copies at
    you local copy center. Otherwise, try the circle/oval drawing tool in
    a word processor or the best would be a CAD program output to a
    commercial plotter.

    Stefan Patric, Apr 23, 2005
  5. js5895

    js5895 Guest

    Well I would like to know how the program gets it's numbers, so
    I could calculate it by calculator. I study everything, computers,
    electrical, etc.,
    and I like using formulas, I think I found a site that might help:
    http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html
    Thanks, for the information about the programs.

    Thanks.

    js5895, Apr 23, 2005
  6. : On Friday 22 April 2005 16:37, js5895 wrote:

    : > I need a circle that I drew in MS paint that is 6" in size, and I want
    : > to print it that size on paper, but it always comes out larger
    : > or smaller, I know there's a formula involved, here's all the details:
    : > ? The circle is 6" at 1024x768 at 96 DPI on a 19" monitor.
    : > ? MS paint made the image 576x576, when I specified 6 inches.
    : > ? The printer is set for 300 x 300 DPI.
    : > it prints 7-15/16" in size, close to 8", when I do (72 DPI) x (Inch),
    : > it's just a hair off, 31/32 of an inch, but 72 DPI isn't set anywhere?

    : Do you need to use a computer/printer to get the circle? If all you
    : need is one, do it the old fashion way: use a compass. If you need
    : lots of sheets of 6" circles, use a compass and then run off copies at
    : you local copy center. Otherwise, try the circle/oval drawing tool in
    : a word processor or the best would be a CAD program output to a
    : commercial plotter.

    One other choice. If it is important that the print size be the same as
    the screen size, set the screen and printer to match. Either set the
    printer to the same DPI as the screen or adjust the screen to match the
    printer, or both. Then when you print, and assuming that the print driver
    does not have to "scale" the print to fit the image to the page, the two
    should match about as close as possible with consumer products. No
    consumer printer is going to be absolutely correct as there will always be
    some "slop" in the mechanical print head positioning mechanism. For
    absolute precision, you would have to use some very high priced pro
    equipment (the graphics program, data transfer equipment, and printer).

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Apr 24, 2005
  7. js5895

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Most monitors top out around 100dpi. You wouldn't find that to be
    acceptable for a print unless you intended to view it at some distance.
    I don't think that is a really good idea most of the time (printing same
    size as monitor display). Most printers can do much better by printing
    the available data at a size that will work out to 200-300dpi on the
    printer.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 24, 2005
  8. js5895

    chrlz Guest

    You really answered your own question. If it really is 6" at 96 dpi on
    your screen, then it will also be 6" if you print it at 96 dpi on your
    printer.

    It's that simple. You only need two things to determine the size of
    something when it prints.. Either:

    1. A dimension (eg 6"), and a resolution (96 dpi). (this also tells
    you how many pixels there are in that dimension, namely 576)

    2. A number of dots/pixels, and a resolution. (eg if you have an image
    2400 pixels wide, and you print at 300 dpi, it will be 8" wide.)

    Spend some time at scantips.com, and it will click!

    chrlz, Apr 24, 2005
  9. If you really want to learn how computers and software do what they do,
    learn to program. I suggest learning the C programming language. It's
    been around for years, is easy to learn, lots of programs were (and are
    still) written with it, and the source code for many of them are
    available on the internet for study.

    Stefan Patric, Apr 24, 2005
  10. js5895

    js5895 Guest

    At 1024x768, I can go as high as 480 DPI, and my printer only prints at
    600x600 or 300x300 DPI. I been programming on and off, for 5+ years
    now with C/C++, Java, JavaScript, Perl, HTML, PHP, ASP, 386 ASM.

    Thanks, for helping me.

    js5895, Apr 24, 2005
  11. It occurred to me that your printing problem may be not with the
    application or screen calibration or screen dpi or printer output dpi,
    but a poorly written printer driver. After all, even if the app
    outputs an accurate file, it's really the printer driver that
    determines the printer output, accurate or otherwise.

    I once had a similar problem. If the app, a DTP program, was set to use
    the printer driver supplied either with the OS or by the printer
    manufacturer, I got inaccurate output. But if I used the printer
    driver supplied with the DTP program for my printer, the output was
    correct.

    Food for thought...

    Stefan Patric, Apr 25, 2005