Printer interferes with computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Grandpa Chuck, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Please excuse the length of this, but I don't want to leave anything out.

    We have a Canon PIXMA iP6600D printer that we really like.

    However, a problem has developed between the printer and the computer.
    When I turn the power on to the printer rather than hearing the normal
    bing-bong I hear it twice. Then my mouse responds more slowly than
    normal. Eventually the neither the mouse or keyboard or anything else
    will respond while the computer is communicating with the printer.

    About this same time if I turned on the power to my hp scanjet 3570c
    flatbed scanner the entire computer would lock up instantly.
    Eventually I hooked it up to our old computer and it worked fine.

    Some time back I had asked a friend who works with computers on a
    daily basis if there is any harm in leaving the power on to the
    printer. He didn't think there was so long as the printer puts itself
    in rest mode when not being used, which it does.

    After leaving it on for a few days and not shutting down the computer
    completely for a few days the clock started losing time. Also when I
    would send a job to the printer everything would lock up and stay that
    way until I cut the power to the system. I could not shut down by
    hitting ctrl/alt/del since the keyboard would not respond at all. I
    would have to hit the reset button or even turn off all the power at
    the battery backup.

    Normally I never shut the computer down any longer than it takes to
    reboot. One night out of desperation I shut everything off completely
    and left it shut down until the next morning.

    When I booted up the next day voilà! Everything worked just fine
    including the clock keeping good time. I discovered it was the printer
    causing the problem quite by accident. I had it shut off for a few
    hours and everything worked just fine. Then I needed to print a
    document so I turned it on and there was the double bing-bong and
    immediately the mouse started jerking, etc. rather than normal operation.

    I have since been told by a computer repair person that leaving a
    computer on 24/7 ages all of its components at five times the normal
    rate and that it should be shut down for at least an hour every couple
    of days.

    I have hooked the flatbed scanner up to this computer again and it
    works just fine.

    Both the scanner and the printer hook to the computer via USB connections.

    Now I just leave it shut off unless I want to print something.

    What should I look for that is causing this and how might I stop it
    from happening again?

    Thank you all so much for your help.

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 26, 2006

  2. Grandpa Chuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    Have you uninstalled all the printer drivers and utilities, then reinstalled
    them?

    Two words: hog wash. No one turns off their servers every couple of days,
    now do they?

    Does the printer have a parallel input? Try using that if it does.
    Help? It's not help - it's self-preservation: I could hear you screaming all
    the way over here

    Toolman Tim, Jan 27, 2006

  3. I know this sounds silly, but I am not sure where to find them. The
    disk from Cannon installed three file folders which include programs.
    Is there a particular extension I should run a search for?
    That is kind of what I thought too. My friend that works with
    computers that run in factories operating machines, etc. said they
    never shut those off unless absolutely necessary.
    No, it does not.

    We bought this one because it uses 8 different ink cartridges which
    means we don't have to replace one expensive color cartridge just
    because one color happens to run out.
    ROFL.

    I am sure you could Tim.

    We have been kind of busy doing our yearly tax stuff. We are not
    getting a large refund, but I think it my half will give me enough to
    buy the hardware, etc. we have been discussing in the DVD recorder thread.

    We just finished paying for this computer in September. I asked my
    wife is she wants to buy a new one since the college where she works
    finances them without interest. I got the look. You know that one. The
    one that says, not now and don't ask again for quite some time. That
    was about the time she said, "The one we have now is just fine and I
    don't want that money coming out of my paycheck twice a month again."

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 27, 2006
  4. Grandpa Chuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    Canon's website should have the drivers -
    http://alpha03u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900 - download them.
    Disconnect the printer. Go to Control Panel, Add/remove programs, and
    un-install the Canon related programs. Then check the Control Panel,
    Printers and make sure the Canon is uninstalled. Reboot. Run the Canon
    install program. (If it's like many printer programs, you don't want to plug
    the printer in until it tells you.)
    True. I've bought several printers based on that same concept.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 27, 2006
  5. I did what you suggested. So far (cross your fingers) everything is
    working alright, but then I just finished installing the updated
    drivers a few minutes ago.

    Wasn't it you that said that what the computer repairman told me about
    the necessity of shutting down the computer for an hour or more every
    couple of days is nonsense? I knew there have been arguments on both
    sided of this for years. Many people say you are more apt to have a
    failure during the boot sequence when everything is winding up than
    you are if it is allowed to run 24/7 thus keeping everything warm.

    Since our printer puts itself into rest mode would you recommend that
    I leave it turned on or shut it down when I don't need it? BTW, it has
    six ink cartridges rather than eight. I had to buy four of them today.
    $16.99 each. I had taken two of them to an ink cartridge refill
    business. They filled them without charge since each cartridge has a
    chip and they weren't sure if I'd be able to use them. They were
    right. Once the chip tells the printer that cartridge is empty it will
    not work and must be replaced by a new one. I'm sure they will figure
    out a way to overcome that, but not at this time.

    Thanks again Tim.
    One thing I love about learning new things and then being able to pass
    them on to someone else in need some day.

    Am leaving a short note in the DVD recorder thread for you too.

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 27, 2006
  6. Grandpa Chuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    Let's hope it takes care of the problem :)

    Yeah - it's a long standing controversy. I look at it like this: if the
    system is going to be turned on more than once a day, turn it on once and
    leave it on. I can't see wasting the power to keep it running at night
    unless it's needed. Both sides of the argument have strong points. (If they
    Most inkjet printers don't consume enough power to be an issue. The inkjet
    printer I have turns itself ON when I send a printjob, so I usually turn it
    off. But my antique Tektronix takes over 30 minutes to warm up, so I
    obviously leave it on.
    Exactly - it's a good thing to do.
    Check.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 27, 2006
  7. Grandpa Chuck

    ernie Guest

    Is that attachment a screwup at my end or yours?
    ern.

    ernie, Jan 28, 2006
  8. Grandpa Chuck

    Liza Veta Guest

    Liza Veta, Jan 28, 2006
  9. Grandpa Chuck gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip
    snip

    Avoid that particular "computer repair person" like the plague.

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 28, 2006
  10. I normally do since the one and only time I took this computer in for
    repair he had it for - (ready for this? - NINE MONTHS TO THE DAY.
    During that time I contacted the Better Business Bureau, whom he never
    responded to, the county attorney who said it was a civil matter, the
    police who said the country attorney wouldn't touch it because it
    didn't involve enough money and anyone else I could think of. Since he
    runs a one person operation and is only open during the wee hours of
    the morning I was never able to find him in his shop and no one would
    come to the door at his house. He did give us a second computer as a
    peace offering one week before returning this computer to us. I had
    taken it to him on the recommendation of a friend. BTW, that friend
    and several others no longer take any computer problems to him.

    I just emailed him about the printer problem to see what he would say
    about it. I had no intention whatever of taking any of my hardware to him.

    Oh, the kicker is that after he had my computer for about three weeks
    and had it all tore apart he let it slip that he hates WinXP and
    really didn't know much about working on a system with it. That was
    the first time I asked him to put it back together and return it.

    I could go into more detail, but you get the gist of it. Fool me once
    shame on you; fool me twice shame on me. (See I can remember it even
    if Bush can't. LOL)

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    The following information is given with the utmost respect
    for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the
    current war in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
    The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of Jan. 25, 2006 is 2,239.
    United Kingdom = 98
    Other = 103
    Iraqi deaths in excess of 30,000
    according to President Bush - probably many more.

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 28, 2006
  11. Grandpa Chuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    I seem to remember that story. Didn't it include the system stinking of
    cigarette smoke when it finally did get home?

    Toolman Tim, Jan 28, 2006
  12. Sure did. The guy has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth all the
    time. Eventually the smell went away.

    Tim you have an amazing memory.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 28, 2006
  13. Grandpa Chuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    Yeah. But it didn't do me any favors with my ex-wife. She couldn't keep her
    lies straight <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 28, 2006
  14. Toolman Tim gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip
    I do too, now that my memory is jogged a little. Sometimes it takes a 9
    pound hammer, though.
    <G>

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 28, 2006
  15. I had two of those.

    Then I met my third and last wife who like me just doesn't understand
    anyone cheating on someone they claim to love.

    Valentine's day will be our 25th wedding anniversary and we have more
    fun together today than we did when we were newlyweds. Everyone one of
    my seven kids has told me at some time or other that they are so
    pleased that I am with her, especially since they think their moms are
    "losing it" now that they are getting into their senior years. LOL

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 28, 2006
  16. Grandpa Chuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    Yeah - me too. I know I have to take most of the responsibility for causing
    the marriages to end, but obviously not all.
    Congrats! Twenty-five years is outstanding. My mom and dad were also married
    on Valentine's day - I always thought it was sweet. Me, I was more practical
    and had my weddings on holiday weekends - that way we would have always had
    a 3-day weekend for our anniversary. Sounds like romance beats practicality,
    huh!

    Toolman Tim, Jan 28, 2006
  17. Actually I didn't get together with my wife until after I had stopped
    looking and learned to like the man in the mirror. I think that played
    a huge roll in her being attracted to me. Also, I have never attempted
    to change her and she hasn't tried to change me. That may be related
    to the fact that we met at a twelve step meeting. As a matter of fact
    we will be leaving to attend our regular one in about ninety minutes.
    LOL
    I think just learning to accept each other as you are is the biggest
    part of it. Of course it helps a whole lot if you are both good
    listeners. Isn't that why we have two ears and only one mouth? ;-)

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 28, 2006
  18. Grandpa Chuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    Good philosophy!

    Toolman Tim, Jan 29, 2006
  19. ernie wrote:

    Is that attachment a screwup at my end or yours?
    Your end or mine?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  20. The Old Sourdough wrote:

    Grandpa Chuck gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    What about machines worries you?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006