Printer driver sharing between Vista X86 and Vista X64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Martijn, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. Martijn

    Martijn Guest

    Dear all,

    I'am trying to install a additional x64bit printerdriver on my shared
    printer, which is installed on Vista X86.
    This driver is a combined 32/64bit PPD XP driver with a clean INF
    withouf fancy stuff. So nothing special, it's only a INF, together with
    a ppd.

    What happens is, when installing the additional printerdriver, at a
    certain moment Vista is asking for the ntprint.inf on my x64 Windows
    media.

    Using a ISO image, i mounted a Windows XP x64bit cdrom and a Windows
    2003 server x64 cdrom, both containing the ntprint.inf in the amd64
    directory. But unfortunatelly, my Vista PC does not accept these
    ntprint.inf files.
    On the Vista DVD-rom, there is no ntprint.inf. and the ntprint.inf,
    which is on my pc is also not accepted.

    I also modified the inf to have the "CoreDriverDependencies" and the
    "PackageAware=TRUE" in the INF, but got the same problem. Does anybody
    recognize this and if yes, do you have a solution for this?

    Regards,
    Martijn

    Martijn, Jan 16, 2007

  2. Install Vista onto an x64 machine and share out
    Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

    ntprint.inf is under the ntprint.inf_GUID

    You may need to just use the x64 client machine to install the x64 driver
    onto the x86 machine depending on the driver dependencies.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Jan 16, 2007