    I did this with both the inf files but no joy
    I also copied the vxd to the system32 folder and no joy again.
    hmm ....stumped ...any ideas?

    code_wrong, Oct 19, 2003

  2. code_wrong

    Stevo Guest

    Seems to be a driver accessible here :
    http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/drivers/77/77845.htm

    But I am curious as to how you have the printer connected to the PC at the
    moment?

    Have you got yourself a USB to Parallel cable/adapter?

    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003

  3. code_wrong

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You do not need those drivers with XP just plug it in. If it still does not
    work the change your printer driver, not cable driver, and use the Epson
    Stylus color esc/p2 driver.

    pcbutts1, Oct 19, 2003
  4. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    Yes, USB_to_parallel cable.
    I'll check out that driver
    thanks

    code_wrong, Oct 19, 2003
  5. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    ok, I'll try that thanks

    code_wrong, Oct 19, 2003
  6. code_wrong

    Stevo Guest

    You need the driver for the USB to Parallel adapter (try to locate an XP
    one?) AND a printer driver...

    As pcButts1 said, try just plugging the printer in and XP should find it and
    install drivers.- if not manaually install the Epson Stylus color esc/p2
    driver available in XP.

    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003
  7. code_wrong

    David Wood Guest

    Take a look at Control Panel-System-is the device there and does it have a
    yellow exclamation over it?
    You might need to remove & re-install but that can be a real pain sometimes.
    Often it's best to install the USB driver WITHOUT the device plugged in,
    then reboot and have the disk ready for 'found new hardware'

    David Wood, Oct 19, 2003
  8. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    code_wrong, Oct 19, 2003
  9. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    I tried that driver but got the same result as before with the latest
    driver from epson.

    code_wrong, Oct 19, 2003
  10. code_wrong

    Stevo Guest

    Try finding an XP driver for the USB/Parallel adapter... only you know the
    brand/model so far..

    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003
  11. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    I have located the drivers ..(I think) here:
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/download/bf-1284/
    When I unzip it there is a folder with the files:

    uninst.exe
    parppl.inf
    parupl.inf
    parupl.sys
    uninst.txt
    parppl.vxd

    How do I install this?
    I tried right clicking the inf files and clicking the 'install' option
    Well .... nothing much seems to happen and I still get garbage text out of
    my printer.

    code_wrong, Oct 19, 2003
  12. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    I'm looking a the box here. It says in red: USB
    Then under that it says
    'to parallel printer cable'
    I don't see a brand
    on the back of the 'box' at the bottom it says
    USP-1284
    I don't know if that is a brand
    1284 is that the iso standard or sumink.
    I don't know
    anyway the cable came with drivers on floppy
    which are the same as the drivers I just downloaded
    as featured in my last post er ... reply to you I think

    code_wrong, Oct 19, 2003
  13. code_wrong

    Stevo Guest

    code_wrong wrote:
    Probably be a good idea to disconnect everything and uninstall the printer
    and USB/Parallel adapter.. from Control Panel | System | Device Manager for
    the USB adapter and just delete the printer..

    Have the drivers either on a floppy or in directory on the hardisk where you
    can get to them..

    Then do a clean reboot... once Windows is up and running, just plug the USB
    adapter in (not the printer) and see if XP recognises it and requestd
    drivers, point the install to the floppy or folder as necessary..

    Once that is installed, reboot and check through Control Panel | System |
    Device Manager that the USB adapter exists

    If it is OK, no exclamation marks or crosses, THEN plug in the printer and
    see if it is recognised...

    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003
  14. code_wrong

    Stevo Guest

    Browsing for USP-1284 brings up a number of different brands, but the common
    factor in all is that XP supports such devices natively, therefore no
    additional drivers should be required.

    When it is properly installed the adapter should appear in Ports area of
    Device Manager...

    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003
  15. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    I couldn't see a ports area, but when I plug in the cable a new node appears
    under the "universal serial bus controllers" node called "usb printing
    support". when I try to "update the drivers" for it and direct the search to
    those drivers we were talking about, the message is " could not find a
    better match than the drivers already installed for this device"
    so .... have reached the end .... guess 'll have to look into buying a new
    printer or setting up a network with my old windows 95 machine .... hmmph
    ...... most annoying
    thanks for your help anyways ... a least I have tried everything now ...

    code_wrong, Oct 20, 2003
  16. code_wrong

    Patrick Guest

    At link below, it says (at bottom of page) that no drivers are required for
    XP/2000
    http://www.cablestogo.com/help/ctg_drivers.asp

    Patrick, Oct 20, 2003
  17. code_wrong

    Stevo Guest

    code_wrong wrote:
    Ports is just a few lines above Universal Serial Bus Controllers..

    The native XP drivers should be all you need.. don't try to update them,
    especially not with 98/ME ones...

    Stevo, Oct 20, 2003
  18. code_wrong

    Patrick Guest

    Does latest mean XP !

    Patrick, Oct 20, 2003
  19. code_wrong

    Patrick Guest

    The drivers that you have are only for the cable-thing and as said are not
    required with XP.
    The link below is to Epson-site page where thiere are two files, a driver
    file and Monitor file.
    Perhaps give them a try;
    http://www.epson.co.uk/cgi-bin/searchdrivers_eul.cgi

    Patrick, Oct 20, 2003
  20. code_wrong

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You need to remove the USB to Parallel drivers you previously installed. If
    it is not in add/remove programs or a file on the disk then look for the oem
    and pnf files on your HD inside the INF folder. The inf folder is a hidden
    folder so you will have to unhide it to see it. The last couple of entries
    in that folder are probably the one's you need but open it with note pad to
    make sure before you delete them. XP does not require any drivers for that
    type of cable.

    Once everything is removed check the device manager for any question marks
    or red X's and remove them. With the cable only plugged in you should see in
    the device manager under USB, USB Printing support. If you see that the it
    is installed correctly. Then instead of changing the printer driver just
    manually install a new printer using the Epson stylus color esc/p2 driver.
    You also have to disable bi-directional communication for the printer as the
    cable does not support it.

    pcbutts1, Oct 20, 2003