Printer cannot communicate with computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s, Nov 25, 2006.

  1. s

    s Guest

    I have a inkjet printer(Dell Photo Printer 720) which was working fine
    before few days but suddenly it stopped printing. When I try to print
    something the cartridge moves quickly from one end to another but does
    not print anything and a blank page is ejected. I tried reconnecting
    power cable,reinstalling Dell's drivers but that could not fix it. The
    power is provided properly to it.

    I followed the suggestions at http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q1245224E
    but that did not work.

    I am using a USB cable to connect the printer to computer but when I
    tested it with a different computer the printer was detected by the new
    computer. But, even the new computer could not print anything and had
    the non communication issue. Does that mean USB cable is fine or it
    could be an issue with USB cable?

    I would appreciate any help.

    Thanks a lot.

    s, Nov 25, 2006

  2. s

    JANA Guest

    It is very possible that the printer is defective, or the cartridge is
    defective. You can try a USB cable. But, if the cable has not been put under
    any stress, it should not be defective.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Nov 25, 2006

  3. s

    s Guest

    Thanks for the reply. The printer was purchased in Apr 2005. When I
    talked to Dell they told me it is out of warranty but generally their
    products last for 3-5 years so they thought I am connecting something
    improperly. As I was out of warranty(I just had a 1 yr warranty since
    purchase) they refused to help.

    The cartridges and the USB cable are the same I was using before few
    days when the printer was printing properly.

    Also, I tried the steps at Dell site for troubleshooting my
    printer(stopping and starting the Print Spooler service but that also
    did not help).

    Thanks for your help and time.

    s, Nov 25, 2006
  4. s

    beenthere Guest

    Have you read the handbook ?.
    And have you tried a Self test on the printer ?.
    Most printers have the ability to test themselves, if
    you press some button\s.
    And printers Do run out of ink.
    HTH.

    beenthere, Nov 25, 2006
  5. s

    Meat Plow Guest

    Printer is at fault. Doesn't matter how old it is.

    Meat Plow, Nov 25, 2006
  6. s

    s Guest

    I thank everybody for their responses. I still cannot get it to work.
    I appreciate all your help and time.

    s, Nov 25, 2006
  7. s

    Carol2 Guest

    I advise that you take some time at the Dell site & search for your
    particular printer's FAQs & Troubleshooting pages. I have a few friends',
    whose HP printers acted somewhat similarly....the solution was to reconnect
    the flat cable on one side of the printer (I forget what it was called). I
    would think that most printers are made similarly. BTW & FWIW......I
    understand that Dell printers are actually Lexmarks that are 'rebranded'.

    Carol2

    Carol2, Nov 26, 2006
  8. s

    Mara Guest

    The USB cable, or the power cable?
    They certainly look like it, particularly the all-in-ones. The one I just worked
    on was, well, crap, frankly.

    <small rant>

    Not as much crap as Dull's tech support is, though. I'm working on a machine
    right now that was brought in last night. IE wouldn't connect, etc.. Classic
    trojan symptoms, of which there were many on the machine. So, the client called
    Dull's tech support. All support wanted to do was a Dell system restore, thus
    wiping out all of my client's data - and she goes to school on this machine.
    When she stated that she couldn't afford to lose her data, the TS person said
    she'd call her back.

    Next Saturday.

    <BOGGLE!>

    So, the client brought the machine to me. It will be done this afternoon,
    without any loss of data.

    Dull support SUCKS.

    Mara, Nov 26, 2006
  9. s

    DellCA Guest

    In all fairness, it would appear that your client was asking ou
    support to do something that Dell's support contract specificall
    excludes . As stated in Dell's terms of sale, which is availabl
    online:

    http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~section=010

    "This limited warranty does not cover:

    --Software, including the operating system and software added to th
    Dell-branded hardware products through our factory-integration system
    third-party software, or the reloading of software-

    -Non-Dell branded and Solution Provider Direct products an
    accessories
    Problems that result from:

    -External causes such as accident, abuse, misuse, or problems wit
    electrical power

    -Servicing not authorized by Dell

    -Usage that is not in accordance with product instructions

    -Failure to follow the product instructions or failure to perfor
    preventive maintenance

    -Problems caused by using accessories, parts, or components no
    supplied by Dell

    -Products with missing or altered Service Tags or serial numbers

    -Products for which Dell has not received payment"

    Dell technicians are trained and authorized to troubleshoot problem
    with Dell hardware components. Expecting them to troubleshoot an
    repair software problems caused by trojans is similar to asking an M
    to do a psychological evaluation. Dell technicians are neither traine
    nor qualified to troubleshoot software problems of an advanced nature
    as it is not within the scope of their support under contract.

    As someone who is trained to troubleshoot advanced software problems
    can safely say that the only way to be 100% sure that all syste
    modifications caused by a virus or a trojan are removed is t
    completely wipe the hard drive and reinstall your software from
    trusted source. In this regard, what the technician suggested as
    solution is absolutely viable, albeit not desirable due to the specifi
    circumstances of the case

    DellCA, Dec 1, 2006