    out. Linksys can't figure it out. Both have now concluded that it has to do
    with Win 98's (in)ability to communicate with Win XP. HELP!!!

    Thanks.

    Guest, Jul 23, 2005

  2. You didn't really tell us much about the printing issue:

    1. On the Win9x machine, did you share the printer?

    2. On the WinXP machine, did you run the add printer wizard, and if so what
    happened?

    3. If #1 and #2 were completed successfully, what happens when you try to
    print? If this is an older printer, check the manufacturer's web site to
    see if there are updated XP drivers.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jul 24, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Yes, the printer is shared on the Win 98 machine. I ran the wizard on the XP
    machine, created the 'wizard disk' for the 98 machine, and ran the wizard
    disk on the 98 machine. THe XP machine recognizes the 98 machine
    (sometimes), but can't find the printer on the network. I can't ping the XP
    machine from the 98 machine, either. I can ping the 98 machine from the XP
    machine. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

    Guest, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Try:

    1. On the XP machine ping the the Win 98 machine and write down the IP
    address.

    2. On the XP machine click Start/Run \\IPofWin98comp ENTER. What
    happens?

    3. If #1 gives you an Explorer window showing the printer, try:
    Start/Run \\NameofWin98comp ENTER.

    4. If #3 also gives you an Explorer window showing the printer, run the
    Add printer wizard. Select Network Printer. For the printer name enter:
    \\NameofWin98comp\ShareNameofPrinter.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jul 25, 2005