    drivers for each printer?

    From what I've read, printmig.exe is not the correct tool to use for
    migrating from a 32bit os to a 64bit os. Would using printmanagemnt.msc from
    a Vista machine do the trick?

    I'm not sure how a situation like this affects end users, will I have to
    come up with a way to remap printers after migrating to 64bit version?

    Thanks in advance

    jt

    Guest, Oct 15, 2007

  2. If you've got that many printers to deal with, you'll want to script the
    entire thing. This will take a bit of extra work up front to create the WMI
    script, but once you've done it, it's easy to test it before you finalize.

    To avoid having to remap everyone's printers, the easiest solution is to use
    exactly the same names for the printer shares, and then name the new server
    the same name as the old server. (Obviously, they can't both be on the same
    network at the same time while they share a name!)

    Again, getting all this right will take some time to completely debug your
    script, but a whole lot less time than it would take to do it all by hand.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 15, 2007

  3. The first thing to do is install the 64 bit drivers onto the 32bit server.
    If you already accomplished this to enable Point and Print for the 64bit
    clients, you can backup the 32bit server using Vista printbrmui.exe This
    will backup the 32 and 64 bit drivers.

    Restore the printers to the 64 bit server and verify everything migrated
    properly

    If you have any printers that do not have 64 bit drivers, you will need to
    determine if there is a compatible 64bit driver available.

    printbrm will only migrate Standard TCP/IP Ports

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Oct 15, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks very much for the reply. Is there a known tool to assist with this
    type of scripting? Maybe something that's related to prnadmin.dll?

    jt

    Guest, Oct 15, 2007
  5. Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 16, 2007