    btw, can anyone recommend a good print server for a multi-function
    printer like the Dell A940 (USB, not parallel).

    thank you

    farseer, Jun 27, 2005

  2. farseer

    Duane Arnold Guest

    No that's not correct. Wire and wireless machines can share resources with
    each other via the router and one machine (most likely the wired one) can
    host the printer and all machines can use the printer. It would be the same
    for the printer with a print server connected to a LAN port on the router.
    The print server will have its on static IP and machines wired or wireless
    with their printer setup for a network printer pointing to the IP of the
    print server via the router.
    Yes, you're correct. I had a wireless router connected to a LAN port on the
    FW appliance. The wire print server is connected to a LAN port on the FW
    appliance. All machines connected to the devices wired or wireless can
    print to the print server on the FW appliance.
    Doesn't D-Link have print servers?

    You don't need a wireless one and you should go with one that is e by the
    same manufacture --- no finger pointing. And the print server that I know
    of doesn't care about the printer's multi-function abilities. Its job is to
    make the printer a network printer and allow machines to print to it over
    the network wired or wireless since all machines are using the router.

    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=165

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 28, 2005

  3. farseer

    farseer Guest

    i do not want a given machine to "host" the printer, since that means
    that particular machine will have to be up and running at all times.
    I'd prefer if the printer is connected to the Router itself.

    D-Link does make printer servers, but on some, it specifically states
    that it should not be used for multi-function printers.

    i don't mind purchasing one that is spec'd as supporting multi-function
    printer, but i don't understand why the CompUSA technician stated i
    needed a bridge. it didn't make sense to me.

    farseer, Jun 28, 2005
  4. farseer

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Jun 28, 2005
  5. farseer

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Jun 28, 2005
  6. farseer

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Yes that's true.
    I don't see why D-Link wouldn't make one that is multi functional.
    A bridge for what? A bridge is to connect networks together like a wireless
    access point (WAP) a bridge device is used to connect it into a wire router
    to bridge the wire and wireless networks together so the machines can share
    resources and use the wire router as the gateway device.

    The router you have is a wire/wireless AP and the device already has this
    bridging so you can share the network printer using a print server
    connected to a LAN port on the router betwen the wire and wireless
    machines.

    There is a list of print servers and I am sure CompUSA may have a list too.
    I suggest you check the specs and there should be a link for each one on
    the page and find one that meets your needs and contact tech support for
    the device about the device and what can and cannot be done.

    http://tinyurl.com/ajd9y

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 28, 2005