    OnOne's Perfect Resize module and then cropped it for the right ratio.

    The metal print, a mounting block, and shipping all amounted to less
    than $50, so my daughter's cheap father got off scot-free.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 22, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    That is a nice shot that shows your daughter put her interpretation on
    what would otherwise be an ordinary flower image. I think it would look
    neat as a metallic print. What toy are you buying with the money you
    saved? ;-)

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013

  3. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Hah! Money saved? It just allowed me to give her one additional gift
    without money out-of-pocket.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 22, 2013
  4. Tony Cooper

    android Guest

    But surprised? ;-)
    So you say... I think that you owe her one. ;-)

    android, Dec 22, 2013
  5. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    That happens with daughters. I hae two of them.

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013
  6. Tony Cooper

    RichA Guest

    The only way it would look different than on paper, would be if the metal was showing through the ink, which I presume is the case, like a Daguerreotype?

    RichA, Dec 24, 2013
  7. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    That was a problem years ago, but hasn't been a problem with the Epson
    printers that I've owned in recent years. I go days and weeks without
    printing anything in color, and haven't had a printhead clog in
    several years. Most of what I print is text-only, but the color
    cartridges haven't clogged. I don't recall having to ever download a
    new driver.

    I have my "keeper" prints done by an outside source, and just print
    family snapshots on my Epson Artisan 710 using Epson photo paper. If
    I need 10 or more family snapshots, I use Costco and order lustre
    finish.

    The Artisan 710 is a printer/copier/scanner combo, and I use the
    copier function very frequently, the scanner function somewhat
    frequently, and the color printing ability infrequently.

    It has a feature that I like in that there's a separate paper holder
    for photo paper. I don't need to load photo paper if I want to whip
    out a 4" x 6" print. I can keep both bond and photo paper always
    loaded.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 24, 2013
  8. Tony Cooper

    RichA Guest

    What do people use ultra glossy for? You can't mount it under glass unlessyou have some magical way of fusing it with the glass under-surface to avoid gaps and even if you board mount it and leave it uncovered, it's hard tolight so you don't get reflections. I realize it still produces the best colour saturation and blacks however.

    RichA, Dec 24, 2013
  9. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Not hard if you understand what you are doing,

    I realize it still produces the
    Therefore the reason, for some, but not all images.
    Few issues seem not to trouble Rich.
    He would be much happier if he learned that there are times when it's
    best to go with the flow.

    PeterN, Dec 25, 2013
  10. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I know, I know. Cats will spend 23 hours completely immobile, but
    when you try to scan them they tend to get agitated and start
    shedding.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 25, 2013
  11. Tony Cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    All you have to do is leave the lid on the scanner up and make sure it's
    warm and the cat will be happy to pose for a scan. Back when I had
    cats, the computer, printer, and scanner were favorite sleeping spots.

    J. Clarke, Dec 25, 2013
  12. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Was the cat scan with or without contrast.

    PeterN, Dec 25, 2013
  13. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/25/2013 8:39 AM, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle wrote:

    I've heard that abut the 4800, which is why I would not even consider
    one. Somone here, denied ther was an issue, but.....

    PeterN, Dec 25, 2013
  14. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    Le 24/12/13 20:03, Savageduck a écrit :
    :
    : > Intent should dictate paper choice.
    : Fully agreed.
    :
    : I have settled on a variety of Red
    : > River Papers for different purposes, UltraPro Gloss, UltraPro Satin,
    : > Premium Matte, Polar Matte, & 68lb Polar Pearl Metallic. Occasionally I
    : > will use one or other of the available fine art or fabric based papers.
    : > Most importantly I use the appropriate matched paper/printer icc profiles.
    :
    : Of course.
    :
    : >>
    : >> Again, I agree.
    : >> Works better with flashy, saturated images in my opinion.
    : >
    : > Yup! It is as important to select the best paper for the ideal
    : > presentation of a particular image, as it is making the right choices
    : > for exposure, and in post processing. While what you say regarding which
    : > images work best for metallic finishes is a reasonable rule of thumb,
    : > sometimes that is surprisingly not true.
    :
    : Matter of tastes ; it just must fit the intent as you say, and using
    : "metallic" paper is quite a strong intend, as well as using ultra matte
    : heavy paper, or textured papers.
    :
    :
    : > For some of the older Epsons I agree. The old 870 I had eventually
    : > became irreversibly clogged, so I bought a Canon i9900, because I swore
    : > never to buy another Epson. I was never happy with the i9900 as there
    : > was no consistency. I wasted a lot of ink and paper to get just one
    : > acceptable keeper print. So I relented and bought an Epson R2880 and I
    : > am now a very happy camper, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the
    : > R2880, or any of the newer Epson pro/prosumer printers. I am an
    : > infrequent printer, and over the last four years I have yet to have an
    : > ink clog with my R2880 and the consistent results I get are as good as
    : > could be achieved on any pro level printer (to my eye).
    :
    : My firts printer was a HP ; I was naive, it was written photo printer
    : on the box...
    : Never got any consistency with it, even between the beginning of the
    : cartridge and the end :(. I learned what was metamerism, too...
    :
    : So, I keep it as home office printer.
    : Next I buyed a Canon (A3+) and yeah ! No icc profiles (so I had to have
    : them made custom) but consistent and pretty result.
    : No clogging (it is not archival inks). But to sell my prints I wanted
    : archival inks.
    : So I buyed an Epson 4000 (A2 and roll) and got fantastic results, when I
    : got them at all. Soon after I buyed this they stopped maintenance of
    : drivers so I have to use Rosetta with Snow Leopard to keep the old
    : driver. Now if I change OS for a new one not supporting Rosetta I will
    : never get this thing up again. I am not sure I will try. Too bad, it was
    : a wonderful machine (when operationnal, that took a lot of effort)...

    I sense that the tail may be wagging the dog here. If maintaining printer
    drivers for the Macintosh is that much of an issue, why not buy a low-end
    Windows computer to use as a printer server?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 26, 2013
  15. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:03:22 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
    : > On 2013-12-24 18:07:56 +0000, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
    :
    : > Intent should dictate paper choice. I have settled on a variety of Red
    : >
    : > River Papers for different purposes, UltraPro Gloss, UltraPro Satin,
    : >
    : > Premium Matte, Polar Matte, & 68lb Polar Pearl Metallic.
    :
    : What do people use ultra glossy for? You can't mount it under glass
    : unless you have some magical way of fusing it with the glass under-surface
    : to avoid gaps and even if you board mount it and leave it uncovered,
    : it's hard to light so you don't get reflections. I realize it still
    : produces the best colour saturation and blacks however.

    The frame shop I use produces excellent results with nonreflective
    museum-quality glass. It's expensive; but if you need it, it can be worth the
    cost.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 26, 2013
  16. Tony Cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    This is a $1800 printer, with 8 inks including 3 different blacks, and a
    resolution of 2880x1440 DPI. Do you think you're really going to get
    the best it can do out of a generic driver?

    J. Clarke, Dec 26, 2013
  17. Tony Cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    "Fusing it to the glass under-surface"? Horrors. When mounting under
    glass the glass should not touch the art unless the art was made that
    way by the artist. That's one reason one uses a mat--it holds the art
    to the backing on all edges and separates the glass from the art.

    As for lighting so you don't get reflections, if the print is reasonably
    flat you just light it so that the reflections go somewhere other than
    eye level.

    Lighting exercise--stand in front of a mirror and shoot it so that as-
    taken the mirror surface is black but the frame and wall are properly
    exposed.

    J. Clarke, Dec 26, 2013
  18. Tony Cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    I think you missed my point, which is that using a "low end Windows
    computer" as a print server means accessing the printer through a
    generic driver on the Mac that supports whatever emulation is running on
    the Windows computer. The most common version of that setup uses
    GhostScript and RedMon to expose a PostScript interface to the network
    which is then translated to whatever the printer needs by the Windows
    box.

    I've done this on occasion--while the results are usable for some
    purposes, you pretty much have the feature set of a 15 year old
    LaserWriter.

    Just in case anybody really _needs_ to do this, the instructions are at
    <http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~henrik/GSPSprinter/GSPSprinter.html>.

    J. Clarke, Dec 26, 2013
  19. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On 2013-12-26 00:02:39 +0000, Robert Coe <> said:
    :
    : > On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 12:36:14 +0100, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
    : > : Le 24/12/13 20:03, Savageduck a écrit :
    : > :
    : > : > Intent should dictate paper choice.
    : > : Fully agreed.
    : > :
    : > : I have settled on a variety of Red
    : > : > River Papers for different purposes, UltraPro Gloss, UltraPro Satin,
    : > : > Premium Matte, Polar Matte, & 68lb Polar Pearl Metallic. Occasionally I
    : > : > will use one or other of the available fine art or fabric based papers.
    : > : > Most importantly I use the appropriate matched paper/printer icc profiles.
    : > :
    : > : Of course.
    : > :
    : > : >>
    : > : >> Again, I agree.
    : > : >> Works better with flashy, saturated images in my opinion.
    : > : >
[...]
    : Not really, read below.
    :
    : > Now if I change OS for a new one not supporting Rosetta I will
    : > : never get this thing up again. I am not sure I will try. Too bad, it was
    : > : a wonderful machine (when operationnal, that took a lot of effort)...
    :
    : If you have the driver installed under OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and you
    : upgrade to Mavericks over SL your drivers should be retained and
    : updated. With a clean OSX 10.9 installation, Mavericks will detect the
    : printer and assist in the driver installation. (Read below)
    :
    : > I sense that the tail may be wagging the dog here. If maintaining printer
    : > drivers for the Macintosh is that much of an issue, why not buy a low-end
    : > Windows computer to use as a printer server?
    : >
    : > Bob
    :
    : Why do a silly thing like that when all you have to do is check and you
    : will see that Epson had some foresight.
    : <
    : https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store...okie=yes&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_M_X9
    : >
    : or
    : < http://tinyurl.com/mxupkmt >
    : ...and for those truly obsolete printers here is how OSX 10.9
    : (Mavericks) deals with that on a fresh install:
    :
    : "Mavericks doesn’t include many printer drivers in its base
    : installation. Rather, when you set up a printer, the OS determines
    : which drivers you need and, if necessary, either downloads them
    : automatically or helps you get them. Open the Printers & Scanners pane
    : of System Preferences and click the Add (+) button, and you’ll see a
    : list of connected and nearby (Bonjour) printers. Choose one, and OS X
    : will see if drivers are available. If your Mac already has the drivers
    : installed, OS X will set it up immediately; if you don’t yet have the
    : drivers, you see a message that you can download the software and add
    : the printer."
    :
    : If you install Mavericks over SL, Lion, or ML all installed printer
    : drivers will be recognised and if there is a need to they will be
    : updated.
    : When I installed OSX 10.9 over OSX 10.6.8 the printer drivers and
    : engines I had installed; Canon i9900, Canon i70, and Epson R2880
    : remained unmolested and work.
    :
    : Why would anybody want to put themselves through the frustration of
    : dealing with a "low-end Windows computer?"

    Well, the answer would be "because Windows has a usable driver for the printer
    and the newest Mac OS doesn't", which Noëlle's complaint seemed to suggest
    might be the case. If, OTOH, there is a usable driver for that printer on the
    Mac (and I guess you're telling Noëlle that there is), there's probably no
    reason to take my suggestion seriously.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 26, 2013
  20. Tony Cooper