    I then went to the Walmart photo service to ask what technology they use. However, the staff there didn't know.

    Could anyone comment on this technology? Will it become popular? How can I find such services in my local area?

    --R.

    rolandlongbow, Nov 2, 2013

  2. rolandlongbow

    RichA Guest

    Digital enlarger. An enlarger with a projection LCD is used to project a digital file onto real photographic paper. They cost $15k or so, from what I've seen. It's possible to do it by affixing a modern high resolution digital projector to copy or enlarger stand and sending the image to photo paper. However, filtration and illumination levels (you'd need ND filters) would have to be experimented with.

    RichA, Nov 2, 2013

  3. rolandlongbow

    dj_nme Guest

    I suppose that it could be cobbled together at home with an HD (1080 or
    "2K") digital projector and a timer for printing onto chemical photopaper.
    The main problem I foresee is having a projector with enough resolution.
    1080x1920 (2K) is slightly less than 2Mp, which might look a bit
    grainy/blocky for anything bigger than 4x6 print.
    The other problems might be dynamic range of the projected image and CRI
    of the projectors globe, if you wanted to try using contrast filters.

    I've mucked around with contact printing using laserprint on overhead
    transparency film onto black and white photopaper, the results were a
    bit mixed and the times using just the room light ended up being around
    4 seconds or so.
    I don't know if this would be relevant to a DIY digital darkroom enlarger.

    dj_nme, Nov 3, 2013