Print Digital Photos onto Traditional Photographic Paper?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rolandlongbow, Nov 2, 2013.

1. While in China in October, 2013, I wanted to have some digital photos printed on paper. So I went to a shop. The owner told me that he could print thephotos immediately using the printer in his shop; however, if I gave him two days, he would take the digital files to another place where they use a technology that emulates the traditional photo printing, and it costs less and produces better photos. When I asked him for more details, he didn't know. When I picked up the photos two days later, they did look like traditional photos, though I am not 100% sure they are technically the equivalent of traditional photos.

Then I got the following information from Wikipedia under "Digital printing":

"Digital images are exposed onto true, light sensitive photographic paper with lasers and processed in photographic developers and fixers. These prints are true photographs and have continuous tone in the image detail. The archival quality of the print is as high as the manufacturer's rating for anygiven photo paper used. ......"

I then went to the Walmart photo service to ask what technology they use. However, the staff there didn't know.

Could anyone comment on this technology? Will it become popular? How can I find such services in my local area?

--R.

rolandlongbow, Nov 2, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. rolandlongbow

RichA Guest

Digital enlarger. An enlarger with a projection LCD is used to project a digital file onto real photographic paper. They cost $15k or so, from what I've seen. It's possible to do it by affixing a modern high resolution digital projector to copy or enlarger stand and sending the image to photo paper. However, filtration and illumination levels (you'd need ND filters) would have to be experimented with.

RichA, Nov 2, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. rolandlongbow

dj_nme Guest

I suppose that it could be cobbled together at home with an HD (1080 or
    "2K") digital projector and a timer for printing onto chemical photopaper.
    The main problem I foresee is having a projector with enough resolution.
    1080x1920 (2K) is slightly less than 2Mp, which might look a bit
    grainy/blocky for anything bigger than 4x6 print.
    The other problems might be dynamic range of the projected image and CRI
    of the projectors globe, if you wanted to try using contrast filters.

I've mucked around with contact printing using laserprint on overhead
    transparency film onto black and white photopaper, the results were a
    bit mixed and the times using just the room light ended up being around
    4 seconds or so.
    I don't know if this would be relevant to a DIY digital darkroom enlarger.

dj_nme, Nov 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question