    sell for $725.00!!! And that was after the seller reduced it twice. These
    are still current production $1500 - $2000 cameras. Also, f2.8 glass is many
    times half of new price. Makes me wish I had an extra grand laying around.

    The Spectre, Dec 25, 2003

  2. The Spectre

    Clanger Guest

    DIGITALLLLLLLLLL that's what.

    Clanger, Dec 25, 2003

  3. The Spectre

    Steve Kramer Guest

    That is PRECISELY why I chose to sell off all my film bodies when I did.
    Very soon you won't be ABLE to sell them at all! You may be able to give
    them away though... if you can find people still wanting them.

    Steve Kramer
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    http://www.photoenvisions.com

    Steve Kramer, Dec 25, 2003
  4. If you still have a Contax G and a lens (any Contax G lens), I'll take them
    off your hands*. It would be amusing to own the highest resolution 35mm
    camera ever made just as a conversation piece.

    *: I might even pay you something if I can look at them first. You don't
    make it back to Japan occasionally, do you???

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 25, 2003
  5. The Spectre

    Deathwalker Guest

    Jessops will be halting trade in cos they have so much stock they can't
    shift. They will be dropping the price up to 50% at managers discression in
    a drive to get rid of it. Nice time for buyers and film die hards.
    Proust

    Deathwalker, Dec 25, 2003
  6. The Spectre

    Peter Chant Guest

    That does not explain lenses, or does it? I suppose DSLR's are still
    much dearer than their film counterparts so people are just getting out
    of SLRs to go digital.

    Peter Chant, Dec 25, 2003
  7. The Spectre

    Steve Kramer Guest

    Sorry, but I sold the Contax G2, the 21mm, 45mm, 90mm, and flash all as
    one package. Got almost what I paid for it all too! Surprised the hell
    out of me!
    We do come back once in a while, mostly for family matters, but we
    usually go to Kyushu. We still keep a 3LDK condominium (fronted by a
    bamboo forest and Zen temple...) in the Osaka area if anyone would like
    to buy that... :eek:)

    Steve Kramer, Dec 25, 2003
  8. The Spectre

    Clanger Guest

    50% they will need to go further than that.....

    Clanger, Dec 25, 2003
  9. The Spectre

    RustY © Guest

    Its called 'Supply and Demand' the market is flooded with second hand film
    gear as everyone moves over to digital. 35mm cameras will never be
    expensive again.

    RustY ©, Dec 25, 2003
  10. It is not the end of the world - and I have added to my C330 bodies, lenses,
    recently for pennies on the dollar, so I'm pleased...
    IF I choose to go seriously digital I will keep my F5 bodies and simply add
    D1X, or whatever, to the body count and keep shooting... It's like the stock
    market - on paper I may have a loss but until I sell it's only scribbles on
    paper - and it may go up..

    Cheers ... Denny

    Dennis O'Connor, Dec 25, 2003
  11. The Spectre

    Bob Hickey Guest

    I think, for many, ebay is the world's cheapest rental store. Buy it, use it
    as long as you need it, get your money back. Buy it on Tues; sell it back on
    Sun, might even get postage back.
    Bob Hickey

    Bob Hickey, Dec 25, 2003
  12. The Spectre

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Oh man, that is scary. I thought prices of this stuff went up around
    the end of the year. What's a nice F3 going for? What about an FM2?
    I never got around to unloading mine. Guess I'll still be (non-)using
    it for an awful long time then. Sigh.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 25, 2003
  13. The Spectre

    JK Guest

    Film cameras go up in value? Perhaps when typewriters go up in value?
    Perhaps there are a few very rare typewriters that go up in value based

    JK, Dec 25, 2003
  14. I recently sold my old ASA 1600 Canon F-1 with the usual brassing for
    a 30-year-old camera, 50/1.8 and 28/2.8 Canon lenses, extension rings,
    a couple of Vivitar lenses, related filters, a Nikon N-60 and a couple
    of other minor items to KEH and got considerably less than what I paid
    for them originally but considerably more than I had expected,
    particularly since Canon FD stuff is a dead end now.

    They did say that my stuff was in unusually good condition but even so
    I was surprised. A local place with a national presence on the US used
    camera market had offered me disproportionately less on the Canon
    stuff I took to them and that was a year ago.

    Since KEH is not a naive operation, I conclude that there is still a
    market for film equipment, at least if you are a dominant component of
    that market.

    I do expect that my current stash of bodies, including two F2 bodies,
    one N-80 and a Rolleicord Vb TLR, represent the end of my film days.
    The next body is likely to be what Nikon introduces as competition for
    the Digital Rebel, or some such thing. Perhaps when D-100
    functionality gets well below $1000.

    - Shankar

    Shankar Bhattacharyya, Dec 25, 2003
  15. The Spectre

    The Dave© Guest

    Same here. My plan is to make the digital jump this spring, either the
    Digital Rebel or the 10D. I plan to still keep my EOS5 and Yashicamat,
    though I may sell my Rebel 2000. I still see myself wanting to shoot
    film from time to time, though I'm sure it will be less and less.

    The Dave©, Dec 25, 2003
  16. The Spectre

    The Spectre Guest

    Hi again,

    I realize digital is the reason but that digital SLR these guys are lusting
    over will be yesterdays news in 6 months just like computers and other
    consumer electronics. No matter what 35mm film is still a much better medium
    than digital for "quality" images right now. Sure digital will certainly
    catch up soon enough but it IS NOT there yet so why the mass panic to dump
    35mm and go with what are really 1st generation digital SLRs? Also, what
    makes a $1000.00 nikkor lens any less useful with a digital camera than a
    film one? How can those lenses fetch such a low price used yet be sold as
    new at same prices as ever? Finally, a camera like a Nikons F series are
    built to take punishment and withstand the rigors of professional use that I
    just do not believe current digital cameras poses. Not to mention they are
    works of ark in their own right. So how can an F5 which is a state of the
    art, professional camera designed from the ground up to be the best and sold
    in limited numbers as "world class" sell for less than a mass produced DSLR
    that will be surpasses in 6 months by the latest and greatest digital
    wonder.

    The Spectre, Dec 25, 2003
  17. The Spectre

    Phil Guest

    There will continue to be collectors of film cameras indefinitely.
    And we all know that old cameras can be worth lots of money, even if
    they're useless and obsolete.

    Phil, Dec 25, 2003
  18. The Spectre

    Clanger Guest

    you will probably find the FM2's will keep their price closer to their new
    cost, more so than say F5, F90, F100 etc. The higher priced bodies will drop
    the most. Similar to say the motor market.

    Clanger, Dec 25, 2003
  19. The Spectre

    stan Guest

    Those cameras are superb, but they're going the way of the dodo bird.
    More and more people are moving to digital medium, and away from film.
    This is why Kodak's film sales is dropping like a rock.

    stan, Dec 25, 2003
  20. The Spectre

    Don Coon Guest

    I think you know the answer; only someone living under a rock doesn't.

    However, I will say that used Canon EOS lenses are *NOT* selling anywhere
    near half price. The demand for EOS lenses is so high that "out-of-stock"
    is common at many etail sites and prices on Ebay are high. Sometimes higher
    than the buyer could get the lens for new. Example: I just sold a Canon EF
    75-300 USM IS without the box or warranty card for $425 + shipping on Ebay;
    you can buy it new from B&H for $399 after rebate.

    Don Coon, Dec 25, 2003