    a setting in Windows XP but there doesn't seem to be one in Windows 98
    SE.

    Thanks

    Rocky, Apr 19, 2008

  2. Rocky

    Pennywise Guest

    Start | Run <type in>
    main.cpl
    <enter>

    you've tried that. or editing registry for the CLSD for the mouse.
    Good luck finding it.

    Start | Run <type in>
    powercfg.cpl
    <enter>

    Might give better results

    Pennywise, Apr 19, 2008

  3. Rocky

    Pennywise Guest

    CLSID, and my bad it wouldn't be for the mouse.

    If you wish to trace your problem, download and run (with filters)
    Process Monitor http://tinyurl.com/6mmnad , finding a mouse movement
    to wake the OS would be a challenge.

    Pennywise, Apr 19, 2008
  4. Rocky

    Whiskers Guest

    Place the mouse in a position where the ball or lasers or whatever have no
    possible movement to detect - eg in a 'mouse cradle', or even just
    upside-down.

    If the mouse is connected via an easily accessible USB socket, unplug it.
    Don't do that with a PS/2 socket though, as doing so while the computer is
    powered up can damage the computer.

    Whiskers, Apr 19, 2008
  5. Rocky

    chuckcar Guest

    No. Shut your computer completely off it you're not using it. It stops
    wasting electricity and windows slowdowns anyways.

    chuckcar, Apr 19, 2008