    filtering (so I'm not worried about others getting in, only him getting out).
    The son has admin rights on his PC, so I'm looking for something like an
    obscure registry hack that I can apply without him noticing.

    Guest, Apr 9, 2005

  2. Guest

    JoeT Guest

    If they truly desire to restrict his access it first begs the question. Why
    on earth does he have admin rights?????

    As long as he has admin rights and what appears to be a better grasp of the
    computer and its workings than the others in his household there's probably
    not alot you can do to reign him in lol. Take away the admin rights and
    there are simple restrictions that can be implemented to keep him from
    manipulating the connection and therefore off the other net, or there are a
    number of utilities that can be used to simply limit his access to the PC
    itself during those times when he is circumventing the time limits of his
    own wireless access by using the resources of neighboring networks. Even
    NetNanny can do it. But I think even with a seperate parental pw for
    netnanny he could probably disable it as long as he has admin rights on the
    machine.

    BTW that neighboring company is more than a tad clueless if they're running
    a wide open wireless system!

    JoeT, Apr 9, 2005

  3. Guest

    Gary Smith Guest

    The family has parenting issues that cannot be resolved with a
    technological solution. if he's using the Internet when he's not supposed
    to be, then only a behavioral adjustment can be successful.

    With administrative rights, he can undo anything you can do, and will
    probably find that undo very quickly. Taking away his administrative
    access is no solution. Anyone who has physical access has total access.
    Methods for gaining an administrator-level password are posted in these
    newsgroups nearly every day.

    Gary Smith, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    My kids are not that geeky and I can take away there admin rights and give
    them a limited account. However, under the default limited account in XP
    Pro, the user can still right click on Wireless Network Connection and see
    "View Available Wireless Networks." How do you create a custom security
    profile that will not allow this?

    Richard

    Guest, May 1, 2005