Prescott CPU getting too hot - what do I do with the heat sink?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gumbatman, Oct 25, 2006.

  1. Gumbatman

    Gumbatman Guest

    Hello,

    About two years ago, I built a machine using an ASUS P5GPL motherboard with
    an Intel Pentium 4 540 Prescott CPU. It always ran warm but lately is
    getting very hot.

    During normal computing it is at about 55 Celsius (which I think is pretty
    warm) and if I do some heavy computing it quickly jumps up to 80C.

    When I first installed the CPU I applied the Artic Silver stuff and that
    made a difference, but since then it has been slowly getting warmer. I am
    using Intel's heat sink/fan that came with it. I also recently added a fan
    to the entire machine but that didn't help.

    Should I replace the heat sink (any recommendations) ? If I do, can I just
    pull it off even though the Artic Silver thermal conductor has already been
    applied? Should I try just reapplying the Artic Silver? I do have the
    cleaning stuff before I reapply it.

    I was also thinking of getting a new cpu. Are there any guides out there
    that you can select your motherboard and it shows the CPUs that fit. I've
    seen similair drop-downs on Corsair and Kingston for memory selectors.

    Thanks for the help.

    -Gumbatman

    Gumbatman, Oct 25, 2006

  2. Gumbatman

    Meat Plow Guest

    Make sure the fan is spinning and the heat sink fins are clear of dust.

    Meat Plow, Oct 25, 2006

  3. The heat sink can't get worse, after all, it's just a piece of metal. If
    it has a fan, that can; if it's noisy, replace it.
    Oh wait, sometimes it plugs up with dust; blowing that out of the ribs
    or fins might help.

    The heat conducting paste (Arctic Silver) gets stiff with age (and
    warmth) and may not conduct as much heat as it used to, especially if
    the heat sink moves from its installed place ever so slightly, due to
    vibrations. I'd try cleaning that off and reapplying it first (but then
    I have some of that stuff lying around anyway, so that course of action
    costs me next to nothing).
    Many online PC sellers have a "configurator" that lets you do this (i.e.
    select a mainbord, and when you select the CPU, only models that fit
    will be available). I am using a German supplier (www.alternate.de), but
    maybe someone else can make a good suggestion.

    Cheers
    mendel

    Michael Mendelsohn, Oct 25, 2006