Presario V2000, US Robotics phone, Skype, lots of noise

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Nehmo, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. Nehmo

    Nehmo Guest

    I have a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop, and I'm trying to get a US
    Robotics 9601A USB phone
    http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=9601a to work.
    It's supposed to work with Skype; I have version 2.5.0.141. I can
    make the calls alright but the received sound on the other end is very
    bad. I the voice turns into a whine, sort of.

    US Robotics tech support said bad phone or bad computer, but had no
    further advice other than to try the phone in another computer. Don't
    have one..

    When I plug in the phone, a balloon says that this device would
    perform faster if you connected it to a HI-Speed USB 2 port. The
    laptop only has 3 available ports, and it doesn't seem to matter
    which one I use. I see the USB ports in Device manager but I think
    they're the same. Is the USB slowness the problem? Is there anything I
    can do?

    --
    (||) Nehmo (||)

    Nehmo, Oct 19, 2006

  2. Nehmo

    BillW50 Guest

    "Nehmo" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop, and I'm trying to get a US
    > Robotics 9601A USB phone
    > http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=9601a to work.
    > It's supposed to work with Skype; I have version 2.5.0.141. I can
    > make the calls alright but the received sound on the other end is very
    > bad. I the voice turns into a whine, sort of.
    >
    > US Robotics tech support said bad phone or bad computer, but had no
    > further advice other than to try the phone in another computer. Don't
    > have one..
    >
    > When I plug in the phone, a balloon says that this device would
    > perform faster if you connected it to a HI-Speed USB 2 port. The
    > laptop only has 3 available ports, and it doesn't seem to matter
    > which one I use. I see the USB ports in Device manager but I think
    > they're the same. Is the USB slowness the problem? Is there anything I
    > can do?

    Yes. Does that laptop have a PC Card (PCMCIA) slot? You can buy USB 2.0
    adapters for this slot. And they are not that much on eBay either.
    Although I don't know if it will solve your problem. As USB 1.1 should
    be fast enough for VoIP. Say you are not trying this on dialup, are you?
    Or a slow broadband connection? Or an USB hub?

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Nehmo

    Nehmo Guest

    I have an expansion slot, I'm on a decently fast DSL connection, and
    I'm not using a hub.
    So there's a difference between USB ports. Apparently there's a 2 and a
    1.1, you say. I'll have to read up on this. Maybe I can find a forum
    for Skype or something where somebody else has had the same problem.

    Thanks for the reply. I don't think I can return the phone. It's from
    Wal-Mart and (so far) I lost the box and receipt.

    Nehmo, Oct 23, 2006