    Also any other useful training tips apart from setting up
    a test server and playing...

    Cheers Guys

    Dilz, Mar 29, 2005

  2. Dilz

    Guest Guest

    Once again, an exam cram will never do you any harm. Spend a couple of days
    reading it. Worst thing that can happen is you know the material better,
    theyre easy enough to read in about 12-14 hours anyway

    Mark.

    Guest, Mar 29, 2005

  3. Dilz

    Dilz Guest

    Cheers Mark,

    I might be tempted to purchase the exam cram series for
    290 onwards. Are the exam cram series any good for the
    design exams? (When I get there of course!)

    Dilz

    Dilz, Mar 29, 2005
  4. Dilz

    Guest Guest

    I sat 70-220 last week, but couldnt get a hold of a book for it. In my
    experience, the exams preceding your design elective prepare you best for the
    design exam.

    i.e. by the time you sit 290/291/292/293 you will be fairly well prepared
    for the content thats gonna be in your design exam. At that point probs an
    exam cram book would be all thats needed rather than a 1000 page books that
    starts by explaining types of groups/NTFS/DFS and all that stuff ALL OVER
    AGAIN!!

    Im hopefully gonna avoid a lot of it by getting MCSE 2000: Security and then
    taking the 2 upgrade exams + a couple of others i need for security on 2003.

    Let me know how you get on.

    Mark.

    Guest, Mar 29, 2005
  5. Dilz

    noob Guest

    I would recommend Exam Cram or Sybex. I have read nothing
    but bad reviews about the MS press books for the MCSE
    windows 2003 core exams. I have the exam cram books on
    order from Amazon as we speak.

    noob, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Dilz

    Guest Guest

    Yea thats true noob, im using a sybex one for my CCNP at the minute, and its
    pretty good stuff. In defense of the microsoft books, they do have a lot of
    lab scenarios which take you through the stuff if youve got a few spare
    machines sitting at home.

    Mark.

    Guest, Mar 29, 2005
  7. Dilz

    noob Guest

    Agreed, have had a look at the MS books and the Labs and
    self test software looked very good but I had read to many
    bad reviews about the material to get them. Should receive
    my examcram books at the end of this week (please Amazon
    don't make me wait 2 months for these books) so if I get
    the time will post up a quick review about them. Anyone
    got any tips for studying for the 70-290 exam, or know of
    any good reviews and please non of these Brian bump sites
    I've heard about.

    noob, Mar 29, 2005
  8. Dilz

    catwalker63 Guest

    If it's any help, I love every one of my MS Press books. Occasionally
    dry and no book is compeletely complete but they have done a pretty good
    job of covering the material in the objectives. They also have a section
    of objective review that has pointers to additional material available to
    read online.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    “If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would
    deteriorate the cat.” Mark Twain

    catwalker63, Mar 30, 2005
  9. Dilz

    FYI-Geek101 Guest

    I also recommend the following microsoft press books for
    training.
    Microsoft Press Books About Microsoft Products and
    Technologies at
    NOTE: These press books can be acquired cheaper at
    http://www.ebay.com.

    An excellent compliment to your training is to
    use the free Microsoft Skills Assessments at
    and its always free.

    VERY IMPORTANT:
    Industry use these assessments to measure your skill sets,
    so completing them successfully is in your best interest.

    If you need help, you can also get free detailed Q&A
    support for skills assessments at
    http://disnetinc.com/

    FYI-Geek101

    FYI-Geek101, Mar 31, 2005
  10. Dilz

    Guest Guest

    Cheers Guys,

    I think I will purchase the Exam Cram Book/Series after I have finished the
    MS Press Book for 290. Hopefully this will put me in good shape for the
    exam.

    I agree the Microsoft Skills assessments are a great freebie way of testings
    your knowledge. I used the XP Skills test for the 270 exam although I found
    the questions were mostly way off the boil.

    On a seperate note: On average how long does it take for the MCP Kit to
    arrive i.e. the wallet and other stuff? The website said 4-6 weeks!

    Dilz

    Guest, Apr 1, 2005
  11. Dilz

    catwalker63 Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?U3VwcmVtZQ==?=" <> prattled
    ceaslessly in

    Actual results vary.

    catwalker63, Apr 1, 2005
  12. Agreed, I think they're great, having read the books for 70-290 and
    70-291.

    But I finally came across a stinker: MS Press's SQL Server 2000 System
    Administration Self Paced Training Kit (70-228) is the driest, most
    lifeless piece of text I've ever been forced to read. So dry it has no
    listed author, so lifeless that it seems like it was cut-and-paste
    assembled from documentation, help files and manuals. Midway through
    trudging through this book, my suspicions proved correct - I came
    across a passage that was lifted word for word from a Books Online
    article on the same subject.

    If you want a bone-dry technical reference for SQL Server 2000 or if
    you enjoy reading encyclopedias or dictionaries, buy this book. But if
    you want a self-paced training / instructive course on how to admin SQL
    Server 2000, steer far, far away from this piece of garbage.

    blastingfonda, Apr 1, 2005
  13. Dilz

    Neil Guest

    describes most MS Press books. but they are all great reference materials

    Neil, Apr 1, 2005
  14. Mine took around 1 week, shipped directly from the paper printing,
    lapel-pin minting, wallet-card cutting factory in Singapore.

    blastingfonda, Apr 1, 2005
  15. materials

    True, but this was the first time I felt I was reading something
    written by a bot, not an actual human being.

    blastingfonda, Apr 1, 2005
  16. Dilz

    Neil Guest

    no really, I did NOT write it...