    All three of these bills were for exactly the same time of 12mins 20seconds.
    Could it be an automatic process for a fixed duration?

    Debbie

    Debbi, Apr 25, 2004

  2. Debbi

    Mikey Guest

    1-Yep.
    2-Yep.
    You connect to a seemingly ordinary site that is programmed to
    switch/disconnect you from your local ISP to fully reserved/prepaid
    International lineS of their own with a very low cost to them per min.
    Be glad this one was kind enough to be pre-programmed for only 12 m. 20s.
    Some do roll until you shut-down the PC===> Veeeerrrrry NASTY.
    They "own" and can charge for "secondary" usage as they see fit===> Local
    Tel. ==> You!

    Mikey, Apr 25, 2004

  3. Is there a modem in the computer? Is it connected to a telephone line?

    Gary G. Taylor, Apr 25, 2004
  4. Debbi

    anon Guest

    More likely they had dialed on the phone line, the reason that the times
    are indentical is probably because whatever they were listening to ended.
    You cannot dial out on ntl bb - leastways not in the way you suggest

    anon, Apr 25, 2004
  5. Debbi

    Debbi Guest

    The assure me the only connection is the broadband, and the modem is no
    longer connected. They dialled the number, and it was not a voice message,
    but the usual squealling noises of a server. I told them that this would
    have cost them even more money !
    I cannot remember the exact number, but it was not listed on
    http://www.icstis.org.uk/icstis2002/default.asp?node=67 which is where NTL
    told them to ring up, and ask what the number acsessed.

    Debbie

    Debbi, Apr 25, 2004
  6. Debbi

    Boomer Guest

    Hi

    Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
    in your reply?
    (Tools> Options> Send tab, tick the "Include message in Reply" box.)

    It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
    others have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.

    Further info:

    Thank You Very Much :)

    Boomer, Apr 25, 2004
  7. Debbi

    Pat Guest

    Want some cheese to go with that whine?

    Pat, Apr 25, 2004
  8. Debbi

    Juan Pérez Guest

    Lame

    Juan Pérez, Apr 25, 2004
  9. Debbi

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Want a crowbar to help remove your head from your ass?

    -= Hawk =-, Apr 25, 2004
  10. Debbi

    anon Guest

    If there is a modem on the sys its quite simple to connect and use it.
    They might care to examine the history in IE I'm sure it'll be a revelation.
    Specially if they are lads.!!
    Anyhow Adaware and SpyBot will remove spyware/dialers etc
    Update before running, they are free

    anon, Apr 26, 2004
  11. Debbi

    Penguin Guest

    Do they have a fax machine connected to the same line?

    Penguin, Apr 26, 2004
  12. Debbi

    Debbi Guest

    No fax machine no phone line, only the NTL broadband ADSL thingy

    Nobody has answered if it is still possible for the broadband to be
    responsible for making the call.

    Can broadband dial premium rate numbers, and you be billed for it??

    Debbie

    Debbi, Apr 26, 2004
  13. Debbi

    Guest Guest

    Debbi wrote:

    <snip>

    Only if you have an (expensive) broadband box that also has a
    fall-back dial-up for use if broadband is not available. I very, very
    much doubt that you have one of these.

    Any one been playing with your Sky Television box?

    Guest, Apr 26, 2004
  14. Debbi

    Stickems Guest

    Broadband did not make the call. However even though you connect to the
    Internet using broadband a rogue dialler can connect through your modem if
    you have one and if it is plugged in.

    Stickems, Apr 26, 2004
  15. Debbi

    Debbi Guest

    They might have NTL whatever it's called (sky), as thats who the phone is
    with, so I will check.

    Why would all three be for exactly the same length ?

    Debbie

    Debbi, Apr 26, 2004
  16. Debbi

    Trent SC Guest

    Trent SC, Apr 26, 2004
  17. Debbi

    Guest Guest

    The number could be one that sells things by taking the money from a
    fixed length premium rate phone call. Someone may have ordered, say, a
    stamp album using your phone line - and then gone back for more. That
    could be why the calls are the same length.

    It could be someone with access in the house - it only takes a moment
    to unplug the broadband and plug in a normal phone and filter.

    It could be a third party outside the house making unauthorised calls.
    All they would need is a peg, a couple of pins and a telephone
    handset. If you do have telephone wires running down the outside of
    your house, you could check for pinholes!

    Whilst it is not entirely unknown for telephone companies to bill for
    calls that never took place, it is, imho, very rare. So the odds are
    that something connected to your telephone line made the calls - and
    it is not going to be your broadband box. So my thoughts strayed to
    what else is connected to your phone line?

    If they have a Sky Television box connected to the same telephone
    line, they may not have thought of it in saying "nothing is connected
    to the line". The box does have a dialler built in and it could be set
    up incorrectly and is dialing the wrong number. Just a thought.

    My suspicion would be it is a human doing this and they have used the
    phone to buy something, using the premium rate number payment method.

    Guest, Apr 26, 2004
  18. Debbi

    anon Guest

    I answered some time ago