    another way to move a preferred SSID entry from "Manual" to "Automatic"
    without deleting the SSID keeping in mind that the SSID is hidden?

    Thanks

    Guest, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Guest

    TW Guest

    There is absolutely NO good reason to turn off SSID broadcast. Turning it
    off doesn't offer ANY security. Your AP or wireless router in fact
    broadcasts its SSID each time a computer connects to it, thus turning SSID
    broadcast off doesn't actually turn it off.

    It does in fact cause problems with WinXP that expects to "see" the SSID
    when connecting. Also, if your neighbors install an AP, your computer will,
    by default, try to connect to this new AP that IS broadcasting its SSID.
    This behavior is by design.

    Turn on the SSID broadcast and use some type of encryption for security.
    Turning off SSID broadcasting is NOT a security measure.
    TW

    TW, Sep 7, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I agree that you can obtain a hidden SSID by using kismet or other tools when
    a supplicant connects, but there are other reasons to do this which are out
    of my control at this point. Now back to the original question, is there a
    way to change the preferred SSID from "Manual" to "Automatic" when the SSID
    is hidden (non-Broadcasting)?

    Thanks

    Guest, Sep 7, 2005
  4. Guest