PPPOE or PPPOA on an atm0 - 877?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by AM, Jun 23, 2006.

  1. AM

    AM Guest

    Hi all,

    delegating the first configuration to my colleagues and seeing the following:

    Current configuration : 173 bytes
    !
    interface ATM0
    no ip address
    no atm ilmi-keepalive
    pvc 8/35
    ubr 160
    oam retry 5 5 1
    dialer pool-member 1
    protocol ppp dialer
    !
    dsl operating-mode auto
    end

    AND

    Current configuration : 275 bytes
    !
    interface Dialer0
    ip address negotiated
    ip nat outside
    ip virtual-reassembly
    encapsulation ppp
    dialer pool 1
    ppp chap hostname XXXXXXXXXXXX
    ppp chap password 7 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
    ppp pap sent-username XXXXXXXXXXXX password 7 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
    end

    I can not figure out which protrocol the router is using.

    How can I know it?
    As the router as no good performances before working on MTU and mss I would like to understand if it's using PPPOE or PPPOA.

    May any of you help me?

    Thanks,

    Alex

    AM, Jun 23, 2006

  2. AM

    anybody43 Guest

    This is I am pretty sure PPPoA.

    The Dialer is the same in both cases.

    PPPoE:

    pvc 8/35
    pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

    R1#sh pppoe sess
    1 client session

    Uniq ID PPPoE RemMAC Port VT VA
    State
    SID LocMAC VA-st
    N/A 2602 0090.1a71.1b20 ATM0/0 Di1 Vi1
    N/A
    000f.f7f9.7a70 VC: 8/35 UP

    PPPoA bridging:
    interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
    bridge-group 1
    pvc 0/35
    encapsulation aal5snap

    N1#sh pppoe sess
    N1#

    PPPoA routing:
    interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
    pvc 0/38
    encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
    dialer pool-member 1

    h#sh pppoe sess
    h#

    These are clearly only particular examples

    anybody43, Jun 23, 2006

  3. PPPoA.

    PPPoE would require some different config lines, and you'd see config
    lines with pppoe in them.

    Doug McIntyre, Jun 23, 2006