    Merv Guest

    This is all very good info - especially the fact that connecting an
    Apple MAC using PPPOE also works.

    Merv, Mar 14, 2008

  2. Frank Winkler

    Zakkas

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2006
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Issue the "sh ip int brief" command and verify and the virtual-interface is showing up and in the logs whether its even being bound to the dialer interface. Also remove the "ip nat oustide" command on fastethernet0/1 as its not needed there. Also what model Cisco router are you running? 2801?

    Also does the modem have any sort of routing functionality such as DHCP, NAT, Firewall. It may need to be configured to operate in bridged mode if you have not done so already.

    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
    Zakkas, Mar 14, 2008

  3. Frank Winkler

    Merv Guest

    any luck getting show interface info and debugs

    Merv, Mar 15, 2008
  4. Yep. I just chatted with my colleague and it looks like CHAP really did the
    trick. Strange, I would have expected a different error message and not
    such an early failure.

    Thanks for your help!

    Just out of curiousity: what is the PPPoE service good for?

    Regards

    fw

    Frank Winkler, Mar 16, 2008
  5. Frank Winkler

    Merv Guest

    PPPOE is typically used with DSL Internet access and is how one
    obtains dynamic IP address assignment, DNS server info. It is simply
    PPP transported inside Ethernet framing and PPP is used heavily in
    dialup Internet access

    for Cable Modem Internet access typically DHCP is used to obtain IP
    address and DNS servier addresses

    Merv, Mar 16, 2008
  6. I know all that. Apparently, you misunderstood "PPPoE service" - I didn't
    talk about PPPoE itself but the service name you also mentioned in an
    earlier posting.

    Regards

    fw

    Frank Winkler, Mar 16, 2008