Powerline ethernet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TT, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. TT

    TT Guest

    I have a college buddy that has acquired a free powerline
    converter/adaptor(I haven't seen it)-the kind that will utilize the
    household wiring for an antenna/router.
    I sent him to a couple of googled sites on setup and use but has
    anybody posting here actually used one of the arrangements in their own
    house? I'd like to print out some actual "I use/used it and it works
    well because... or it doesn't work well because... informational posts.
    He is using a single dialup now and thinks it worth a shot...I
    believe he wants to convert to DSL or ADSL for the incoming signal.
    I'm concerned because he has a great big, 3 story (25 rooms-a
    mother in law wing/servants's quarters, and 3 sets of stairs between
    floors)100 yr old house with 80 yr old wiring in some places, I'm
    sure...although a large amount of the wiring is less than 20 years old.
    I've seen some of the old cable and post type of wiring in the
    basement of this place-but I couldn't stay long down there because it
    creeps me out...hah
    I'll pass on anything you lovely people would care to share with us...
    Thanks,
    TT

    TT, Apr 30, 2004