Power over Ethernet with 1131 and 1230 WAPs

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by srp336, Jan 31, 2008.

  1. srp336

    srp336 Guest

    I've got a new site that I'm trying to get wireless working with.
    There are 10 access points (a mix of 1131s and 1230s), many of which
    were converted to lightweight mode for use with a 4400 wireless lan
    controller. All of the access points are run to a Hubbell Powertrac
    powered patch panel which is intended to supply the Power over
    Ethernet.The Powertrac supports mostly 802.3af compliant devices, plus
    a few legacy devices (although Hubbell didn't really have a list of
    what legacy devices that includes).

    The problem is that none of the 1230s are getting any power. My
    questions are:

    - Is the Cisco 1230 802.3af compliant? The Cisco tech handling a TAC
    case I opened says yes, but the results I'm seeing and some things
    I've read on the Cisco website suggest otherwise.
    - If the powered patch panel is only acting as a normal patch panel
    port, could I put a Power Injector between switch and the patch panel?

    Thanks!

    --Steve

    srp336, Jan 31, 2008

  2. Steve,

    The AP1200 series (1220, 1230) IS *NOT* 802.3af compliant -
    Cisco prestandard only. If your switch doesn't do Cisco
    prestandard PoE, you would have to use a power injector
    or power brick to power them.

    Aaron

    ----

    ~

    Aaron Leonard, Jan 31, 2008

  3. srp336

    srp336 Guest

    That's kind of what I thought... thanks for the confirmation. Do you
    think there would be any problem with putting the power injector
    between the switch and the powered patch panel? That wouldn't damage
    the patch panel, would it?

    srp336, Jan 31, 2008
  4. srp336

    Thrill5 Guest

    It could cause a the power brick, or the powered patch panel to short out,
    or it could cause a fire. I would NOT under any circumstances run the brick
    in series with a powered patch-panel!!!! I would bypass the powered
    patch panel altogether because even if you don't short anything out or see
    any smoking when you connect it up, long term, a problem could arise
    resulting in a fire.

    Thrill5, Feb 1, 2008