    Can any of you guys and gals help?

    Thanks
    Ratzz

    Ratzz, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Ratzz

    SgtMinor Guest

    The socket into which your monitor is plugged is a 'pass-through'
    connection and will work even with your computer turned off.

    The reason for a power supply failing are multiple but heat and voltage
    spikes are AFAIK the most common causes.

    Does the PSU fan spin? Do your hard drives turn on? How much of a load
    does your system place on the PSU?

    Did you smell anything? It's probably fried, but a replacement is not
    too expensive and is fairly easily installed.

    SgtMinor, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Ratzz

    Ratzz Guest

    Thanks Sarge,
    My PSU fan does not spin and my HDD's do not turn on. My computer is
    probably a couple of years old now and I have had no intermittent problems.
    I don't usually run my monitor through the PSU (not sure if this makes a
    difference to the load). I run an AGP graphics card, Athlon XP 2.5, two
    HDD's, DVD-ROM and DVD. Processor has decent fan, and case has a fan located
    on top.
    I have to be honest, I really can't smell anything bad / burnt coming from
    the case.
    I think you maybe right Sarge about the replacement - I was just really
    worried it may have been more serious.

    Ratzz, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Assuming an industry standard power supply (not Dell), you can test it
    rather easily. Take the main power connector off of the motherboard and
    use a voltage meter. With the PSU plugged in to power and switched on,
    check the voltage across any one of the black wires and the purple wire,
    if you don't get 5VDC, the power supply is shot. You can use a paperclip
    and short the green wire and any black wire and the power supply doesn't
    power up, it's shot.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Although that makes sense, I did not know that. Is that an ATX
    standard?

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 11, 2005
  6. This is pure opinion, all that sounds a little much for a 350W PSU.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Ratzz

    SgtMinor Guest

    These are the three little words that, according to Red Green, men are
    afraid to say: "I don't know." I can't remember ever seeing one that
    didn't have that feature, but whether it's a standard...

    SgtMinor, Jun 11, 2005
  8. Ratzz

    Plato Guest

    95%+ of the time when a PS goes bad it doesn't "burn-up".

    Plato, Jun 11, 2005