    Win XP Pro SP2

    How do I set the system (PC) to automatically return to previous state
    after a power interruption?

    frog, Oct 15, 2006

  2. frog

    Joe Guest

    Buy a UPS battery backup?

    Joe, Oct 15, 2006

  3. frog

    Pennywise Guest

    Check your BIOS
    I have mine set to stay off.

    Pennywise, Oct 15, 2006
  4. frog

    SgtMinor Guest

    Isn't that what it does now? Or are you referring to an automated
    System Restore function? System Restore may not even work after
    an unexpected shutdown. See "Frequently Asked Questions Regarding
    System Restore in Windows XP"
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx

    Why not plug your system into a UPS?

    SgtMinor, Oct 15, 2006
  5. frog enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:
    Some, not all, recent bios versions allow settings for "when power
    returns". There is "soft off" (recommended for desktops), "auto" for
    adventureous people, and "always on" for servers.
    You probably find that setting under energy or advanced options.
    There is some risk for erraneous startups after power spikes, while you
    are at a two-week vacation, so use a switchable powerstrip for that
    purpose.

    Walter Mautner, Oct 15, 2006
  6. frog

    frog Guest

    As typical, I did not specify exactly what I wanted to know. Here, more
    clearly, is what I was trying to find a procedure
    for:

    When I turn the master control - I have a router that controls the power to
    the printer, monitor, the cable modem and other equipment
    along with the PC itself.- When I switch this control on I want the PC to
    power up without my having to also push the power botton on the PC.
    Reason: Due to tight space and location of the PC box it is not that easy to
    reach it and since I had the autoresume feature on the replaced old
    PC I wish to do the same on this new one. There my have been that facility
    on the old PC BIOS but there is not in this replacement. It has nothing to
    do with UPS or such, just a convienence I would enjoy again.

    frog, Oct 16, 2006
  7. frog enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:
    *g*
    Well, then you need a tiny capacitor parallel to your pc's power switch.
    The green(?) wire should be grounded for a short time to turn the thing
    on.

    Walter Mautner, Oct 16, 2006
  8. frog

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya frog.

    If I understand what I think you're trying to say then you can't. Buy a
    UPS and your power problems will be greatly reduced. They're not at all
    expensive these days either :)

    Ponder, Oct 16, 2006