    On a 120v three prong power cord, which is the common side? is it the
    "ribbed" side or the other side?

    thank you

    al moran, Aug 13, 2005

  2. al moran

    Shawn Guest

    the "ribbed" sides of cords are pretty much always the negative

    Shawn, Aug 13, 2005

  3. al moran

    tango Guest

    You should never try using the power cord itself to determine polarity.

    If you look at the plug end you will see a round ground tang and two
    other flat tangs.
    The NARROW tang should be the hot or live ckt.and the WIDER tang should
    be the neutral ckt.
    You can also purchase a tester to check the AC receptacle polarity at a
    hardware store for a couple of dollars. HTH

    tango, Aug 13, 2005
  4. What are "ckt"s?

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 13, 2005
  5. al moran

    tango Guest

    How about circuits, of course for professional semantics experts it may
    violate political correctness.

    tango, Aug 13, 2005
  6. I don't know about PC, but it meant nothing to me, so I asked.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 13, 2005
  7. al moran

    old jon Guest

    old jon, Aug 13, 2005