Potentially Massive Internet Attack Starts Today

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Aug 22, 2003

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Aug 22, 2003

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:22:54 +0100, "billyw" <> wrote:

    >the only reason that linux is secure is to do with critical mass.
    >once it reaches that mass and without commercial intervention it will be
    >more insecure than MS... that said MS does need to wake up and stop being so
    >arrogant

    My point was that Linux *isn't* secure. Not out of the box, anyways.
    *No* operating system (that's connected to a network) is. I've been
    following some MS bashers that spout crap like "I'm switching to
    Linux" in some of the MS security groups. If they can't manage
    WindowsUpdate, I'd love to see them try to keep any other OS patched.

    I agree Windows does have it's flaws, but who among us can write 100%
    flawless code? And while it does have it's flaws, Microsoft provides
    us with an easy way to get patched... WindowsUpdate can even do it
    automagically for you! Granted, this applies mostly to home users...
    I'd never randomly apply patches to my production servers.

    I agree with you that linux will become a bigger target as the
    userbase increases. No one OS will rule them all.. I use different
    flavors of Linux.. I use different flavors of Windows... I use
    AmigaOS.. I've even been known to use AIX, BSD, and MacOS (not by
    choice)... the point is each has it's strengths and weaknesses... is a
    boxed wrench better than an open-end one? Depends on the job you need
    to do.

    I feel better... really. I should pick a random post each day and
    ramble.

    Now... I need to either get back to debugging... or help the wife
    houseclean. Suddenly reading over 3 reams of printed source code
    doesn't seem so bad..

    |{evin, Aug 23, 2003
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

    billyw Guest

    you look after the code i'll look after your missus.. after all with a hus
    called kevin you probably needs a man]

    billyw, Aug 24, 2003
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 00:11:55 +0100, "billyw" <> wrote:

    >you look after the code i'll look after your missus.. after all with a hus
    >called kevin you probably needs a man]

    Take her... please. Oh, the 4 kids and dog have to go with her. Maybe
    I can get some work done before you realize the mistake you've made
    and bring 'em all back.

    |{evin, Aug 24, 2003
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

    billyw Guest

    ah i see you have one of those women as well..
    i just refer to my wife as the money pit

    billyw, Aug 24, 2003
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

    Freeride Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:06:15 -0500, Gary - US wrote:

    > So don't us it.

    I don't but have to support the shitware at work.

    >Why are you wanting to be an MCSE if it sucks so bad?

    No already have a couple of those. Come to this NG for the entertainment
    factor. :)

    Freeride, Aug 25, 2003
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

    Freeride Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:59:34 +0000, |{evin wrote:

    > I suppose next you'll tell us Linux IS secure..

    No it has it's holes which are patched quickly with out rebooting, but it
    is smart enough not to make email attachments or any downloads executable.

    Freeride, Aug 25, 2003