    Im wondering this because I want to know how safe is to post and what
    information goes trough.
    Thanks in advance.

    Amazed, Mar 28, 2010

  2. Amazed

    Bit Twister Guest

    I do not use Xnews. Maybe there is a setting/command to show usenet headers.
    I use slrn as my Usenet reader/client so here are a few lines of your
    header which might interest you.

    From: Amazed <>
    Newsgroups: alt.computer.security
    Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 05:26:15 +0000 (UTC)

    Bit Twister, Mar 28, 2010

  3. Amazed

    Leythos Guest

    Many Usenet providers will show NO IP related information via headers,
    other will show the posters host IP, others will only show their NNTP
    servers IP. Almost all Usenet providers show a message ID that they can
    use to identify which of their users made a post.

    Leythos, Mar 28, 2010
  4. Amazed

    s|b Guest

    Press H.

    s|b, Mar 28, 2010
  5. Actually, there's an easily reachable button :)
    That's of course the important line.

    Apparently the post came from ISP Maxcom in Mexico

    http://ip-whois-lookup.com/lookup.php?ip=201.161.61.15

    Juergen Nieveler

    Juergen Nieveler, Mar 28, 2010
  6. Amazed

    Mike Easter Guest

    Your news provider stamps your messages with your connectivity IP in the
    NPH nntppostinghost, but most do not. None of those replying to you so
    far have their NPH so stamped.
    For most people, the exposure of the connectivity IP in the NPH is of
    virtually no consequence.

    Your IP address is available to every webserver you contact unless you
    go thru' a proxy. Your IP address is certainly available to your own
    connectivity provider. Your IP address is available to any newsserver
    you access unless there is an intermediate proxy or string of proxies.
    There are free news servers which don't stamp an NPH and which don't
    stamp an offensive advertising trailer at the foot of all of your messages.

    Why would you care whether or not the/your connectivity IP is so stamped?

    Mike Easter, Mar 29, 2010
  7. Amazed

    Albus

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't like to use peer-to-peer or bittorrent platforms to download tv or music because in the process of providing an upstream, my IP is visible and I could potentially be busted for distributing copyright content.

    Therefore I prefer to download via UseNet (NNTP).

    Two questions:
    1. Are my assumptions above sound?
    2. Any experts out there can confirm that NNTP is a safe way to go since it involves only downloading what is already out there without having to share back?

    thanks!

    Albus, Apr 20, 2010