Post-Windows Update: Intermittent Connectivity w/D-Link Router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Zakhary, Dec 28, 2008.

  1. Zakhary

    Zakhary Guest

    In the last few weeks, I have been experiencing intermittent connectivity
    between my laptop and my D-Link DIR-625 Router. The problem also occurs on
    other D-Link DIR 625 routers, but no other routers; and it randomly came into
    being. The problem is that the network is ALWAYS visible, but connectivity
    keeps dropping. Sometimes it will get reconnected on its own, but often, I
    have to refresh the Wireless Networks List (despite it already being listed
    on there) for it to reconnect. But then, it loses connection again after one
    to two minutes.

    After hours with D-Link tech support, including returning the device for a
    replacement, and replacing my wireless card on my computer, the problem
    persisted. I also installed a brand-new DIR 625 router at a relative's home
    and got the same problem there. It became clear that this was neither a
    problem with my laptop's wireless card or the router; something else fishy
    was happening.

    I changed the security settings from WPA-Personal to WEP and the problem
    went away. But why did the problem not come about until now? And why am I
    only experiencing this problem with these routers? The only rational D-Link
    and I could think of was a recent Windows XP Professional update.

    Does anyone else have similar problems and/or know which of several WIndows
    XP Professional updates that was developed in the last three weeks is the
    suspect of this problem?

    Zakhary, Dec 28, 2008

  2. Zakhary

    Zakhary Guest

    Windows is already set up to control my wireless connections. I mainly just
    am looking for an identity of the recent update that caused this problem so
    that I can delete it.

    SP3 caused me several problems with Microsoft Office, so was emoved and
    never re-installed on my systems.

    Zakhary, Dec 28, 2008

  3. Hi
    It seems that the problem is with this specific Laptop.
    There is more to Wireless function on a Laptop than just Windows.
    In most cases Wireless troubles are not an OS issue. It can be the Laptop
    hardware too.
    What the Wireless card on the Laptop is?
    Did you try to clean the Wireless Connection Preferred List, uncheck Connect
    to Any Wireless and disabled the Wireless Card Power saving?
    Did you try different channels in the Router?
    In general http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 28, 2008
  4. Zakhary

    Zakhary Guest

    That was looked into and is not the problem...
    The wireless card was replaced through warranty with the manufacturer (HP)
    with the belief that it may have been defective. But the problem persisted.
    The router was also replaced AND I installed the same type of router at a
    relatives location (so, total of three routers of the same make/model) and
    the problem persisted.

    Important notes:
    - After using this same type of router for almost two years, the problem
    randomly came into being
    - The problem only exists with this type of router
    - When the settings on the router were changed from WPA-Personal to WEP, the
    problem went away

    So, it is pretty clear to me that this is neither a defect in the laptop or
    the router; something else was done to either the software on the computer,
    the settings on the computer, or the settings on the router to cause this
    problem. Through a process of elimination, the only thing that stands out is
    a Windows Update.

    I'm going to roll-back (system restore) to a few weeks ago so that those
    updates are gone and see what happens. My guess is it will be gone the

    Zakhary, Dec 28, 2008