Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Henley, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. The Delkin USB bridge can do this:
    http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_usb_bridge.html

    From the specs, it is a USB 1.1 device, so I can't imagine using it in the
    field, since it would be slow and your camera would be unavailable while the
    copying is going on. When speed matters, I shoot with multiple cards, and when
    I'm shooting with the 2nd card, I am transfering the contents of the 1st card
    to my portable hard drive (CompactDrive).

    With the high end Nikon and Canon DSLRs, they have an attachment that connects
    via USB or firewire, and then in the background sends files via 802.11b/g
    wirelessly to a server (such as a laptop).

    Michael Meissner, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Mike Henley

    paul Guest

    PNG is a nice middle ground for locking in photoshop edits. Seems slow
    writing but only a bit larger than RAW.

    paul, Jan 29, 2005

  3. The slow encoding was a deliberate choice. PNG was intended for Web
    use, where images are encoded (written) just once, but decoded thousands
    or millions of times. Thus, it makes sense to us a compression method
    that is slower to compress than decompress. It's less well suited to
    your application, where you'll read the image few or no times.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 30, 2005