post mail-order jitters...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kkennedy, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. kkennedy

    kkennedy Guest

    I just ordered my new Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens from B&H
    photo (along with a Canon UV filter - 25 bucks - ouch!). Anyway, I am
    new to the SLR world. I just got a Digital Rebel for Christmas along
    with the kit lens. I bought a Quantaray 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (I think)
    from my local Wolf camera store. After reading lots and lots of
    literature in books, magazines, and reading internet sites, I decided
    to return that lens and hold out for something better. I thought I
    had done a lot of research when I ordered the 28-135. I saved over
    $100.00 buying online instead of Wolf.

    Anyway, I'm just a little ansy. I ordered last night from B&H Photo.
    Anyone have experience with these guys? Today, I also found some newer
    reviews on this site:
    http://www.photographyreview.com/35mm,Zoom/Canon,EF,28-135mm,f-3.5-5.6,IS,USM/PRD_83415_3128crx.aspx
    The more recent reviews don't seem to be very flattering. I also found
    this site:
    http://www.tawbaware.com/canon_lens_test.htm
    Again, not exactly a glowing review of the 28-135.

    $400.00 is a lot of money for me, please tell me I didn't make a
    mistake!!

    Thanks.

    kkennedy, Jan 19, 2004

  2. kkennedy

    Jeff Shoaf Guest

    (kkennedy) wrote in
    You did not make a mistake with either the lens or the vendor. That lens
    is considered by many to be the best non-prime, non-"L" lens that Canon
    makes. There's a lot of folks using that as their main "walk-around"
    lens. Just go to www.dpreview.com and do a search in the forums on that
    lens (hopefully the search feature will be working - the site's getting a
    lot of traffic lately and the search feature seems to be the most
    affected).

    B&H is generally considered to be one of the two best on-line camera
    vendors, with Adorama being the other - opinions on which is best varies
    with who you're talking to.

    If you think the UV filter was expensive, just wait until you decide to
    get a circular polarizer!

    Jeff Shoaf, Jan 19, 2004

  3. kkennedy

    Drifter Guest

    I just ordered my new Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens from B&H
    I've had my 28-135mm since October and although I'd agree about the
    wide aperture fuzziness it really hasn't bothered me in my photo
    taking. This is the lens that is most often on my camera and I've
    been generally very pleased with it.

    The next closest thing in Canon's line is (I think) the 24-70 L series
    which is going to run you $1,100.00 and still has it's issues.

    The main thing I see is that a lot of sites and reviews really slam
    zoom lenses insisting that we should all go to prime lenses.
    Admittedly I'd love a nice selection of primes that cover my working
    range, but I'd hate to take them all out on a hike with me <grin>.

    Drifter

    Drifter, Jan 19, 2004
  4. kkennedy

    gr Guest

    They're not a scam operation, if that's what you're wondering. However,
    their service does seem to be going down over the past half-year or so. I've
    had good experiences and bad experiences ordering from B&H. It seems hit &
    miss. If you have problems, dealing with them post-sale can be a nightmare,
    but I suppose that's true of most mail-order places.

    Insure your package full-value, and get a guaranteed delivery date.

    gr, Jan 19, 2004
  5. kkennedy

    john smith Guest

    Funny how people ask after they put their money down!

    john smith, Jan 19, 2004
  6. kkennedy

    Drifter Guest

    Funny how people ask after they put their money down!

    Buyers Angst. I think we've all had it <grin>
    Drifter

    Drifter, Jan 20, 2004
  7. kkennedy

    BandHPhoto Guest

    <B&H is generally considered to be one of the ... best on-line camera
    vendors...>

    Thank you.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com

    BandHPhoto, Jan 26, 2004
  8. kkennedy

    BandHPhoto Guest

    <They're not a scam operation, if that's what you're wondering. >

    Thank you.

    <However, their service does seem to be going down over the past half-year or
    so.>

    I am happy to report this is entirely inaccurate.

    <I've had good experiences and bad experiences ordering from B&H.>

    We are always ready to learn how we might improve. "Good, better, best ..." you
    know.

    <It seems hit & miss.>

    With a 9+/10 resellerrating.com rank, it seems mostly <hit>.

    BandHPhoto, Jan 26, 2004