post for Woger.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 26, 2005.

  1. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 26, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Impossible Guest

    How pathetic is that!? Is there really nothing better you have to do?

    Impossible, Feb 26, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    James West Guest

    hmm still waiting for him to reply to the INTEL is better thread
    guess he cannot

    James

    James West, Feb 26, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    thing Guest

    Woger's posts have always been illogical, up to a point..... While I
    believe AMD has the best desktop and low end server CPUs on the market
    today the comments on the lack of stability from 3rd party motherboard
    glue chips is an important issue.

    Intel's hype over the P4 (that was supposed to go to 10Ghz?) shows how
    un-trustworthy Intel are and how marketeer driven they are. AMD's CPU's
    are however simply A1 in design showing their engineers understand what
    is really wanted in the market and are delivering it.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Feb 26, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Guest Guest

    Hmmm...

    Intel has to clock its flagship CPU (the P4) at a speed nearly 2.5 times
    higher than AMD's flagship CPU (the AMD64) just to keep up with the AMD64.

    Facinating!

    What went wrong with Intel's products?

    Divine

    --
    "Linux and MySQL are going to keep chipping away at Micro$ofts' install base
    and it is terrified. Why else would they keep spouting on about how awful

    Guest, Feb 26, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    thing Guest

    IMHO, Marketting........some asshole(s) convinced the managers and
    engineers that high "rpms" sell CPUs.

    While this worked for a while the crappy architectural compromises made
    to get the clock rate up are now biting Intel in the bum, and big time.
    AMD seems to have stuck to its good engineering and we are now seeing
    their tenacity come through in products that work in the real world.

    Wish I could afford an amd64

    :(

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Feb 27, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Axle Guest

    What an aspiration !

    Axle, Feb 27, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 27/02/2005 11:28 a.m.:
    The temptation to pick on you for this one is great dave, but I think i
    will let it slide :cool: probably best since I have a bottle of rum on the
    desk and dark overcast/rainy weather outside.

    -- ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 27, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Guest Guest

    They're great.

    My "production" desktop is an AMD64 3200+

    I won't be buying any more 32bit stuff - for me it's all 64bit from here
    on, and most likely all AMD from here on.

    The fact that Micro$oft has yet to release a 64bit version of M$Windows
    has not stopped people from using the AMD64 - especially given that there
    are many versions of Unix and Linux available natively for the AMD64.

    *AND* the AMD64 runs very cool.

    The irony of it all is that the clueless businesses will still continue to
    use Intel and Micro$oft - because they are..., um..., clueless.

    Divine

    Guest, Feb 27, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    thing Guest

    We are running Xeon's with 64bit RHAS3~4. Dell still decline to offer
    Opterons so I will wait til we do a server room refresh in 2006,
    probably go IBM then.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Feb 27, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rider Guest

    If I ask if anyone requested this, will you yell and swear at me too

    LoL

    Rider

    Rider, Feb 27, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    My thoughts entirely. Intel were onto a winner with the last P3 but killed
    it prematurely just to beat AMD in the Mhz race. Only now have they
    resurected and modified it as the Pentium/Celeron M and put it in laptops.
    Best CPU Intel ever made, and they could have made it three years ago if
    they weren't so marketing-hype driven. It kicks the arse of a P4 of twice
    the 'speed'.

    ~misfit~, Feb 27, 2005
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    David Preece Guest

    There's a legend that you can get them if you

    a) Ask nicely.
    b) Promise not to tell anyone and
    c) Are a really large account.

    They probably just get Newisys boxes and rebadge them. Like Sun do.

    Dave

    David Preece, Feb 27, 2005
  14. nope.

    Dave - dave.net.nz, Feb 27, 2005
  15. apparantly if you are big enough and persistantly whine at them, they'll
    resell Opterons to you from another manufacturer.

    Dave - dave.net.nz, Feb 27, 2005
  16. I do not ask for This aBuse
    go away little boy and play with your playstasion

    :)

    Dave - dave.net.nz, Feb 27, 2005
  17. heh, I just posted that, I got beaten... oh well.

    Dave - dave.net.nz, Feb 27, 2005
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Impossible Guest

    Nothing like a little honesty :)

    Impossible, Feb 27, 2005
  19. it's almost always the best policy.

    One of my mates when pulled over by the cops and asked "Do you know how
    fast you were going?", his reply was, nah man, I had my foot to the
    floor, and I was holding on so tight I wasn't watching"...

    The cop laughed, and gave him the ticket, but he was really good about it.

    Dave - dave.net.nz, Feb 27, 2005
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    Or like everyone else does as well. At least Sun seems to add more cool
    management stuff for less money than the HP ones cost (apparently).

    http://anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2354&p=5

    The 'BIOS' is a PPC chip running Linux. You can SSH into it and check
    all the hardware status stuff even if the main system has crashed or is
    turned off. OK most serious servers let you do that via serial ports etc,
    but how many let you use Linux/SSH?

    Quoting Anand for a review of a quad proc Sun box feels a little weird
    though ;)

    AD., Feb 27, 2005