    peoples' experience?

    John Geddes
    Derbyshire

    John Geddes, Dec 1, 2005

  2. John Geddes

    DGB Guest

    Yes - you're lucky to get ringback tone, quite frequently I just get silence
    until the called party answers.

    I'm using a Grandstream Handytone 486 ATA.

    DGB, Dec 1, 2005

  3. John Geddes

    PhilT Guest

    at risk of turning this into a "four Yorkshireman" sketch...

    Luxury, when I dial a sipgate number I get a long silence then either
    nowt, a tri-tone BT error or a continuous tone.

    Phil

    PhilT, Dec 1, 2005
  4. John Geddes

    Jono Guest

    .........and here's the fourth Yorkshireman.

    I have no problems whatsoever with Sipgate. It works perfectly.

    Jono, Dec 1, 2005
  5. John Geddes

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Same here, although I expect Dexter to chime in with his anti-Sipgate rant
    any time now.....

    BTW I just tried ringing my Telewest number from Sipgate, I got ring tone
    after about 5 seconds, I didn't press #. Perhaps it's because I'm not a
    Yorkshireman..?!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 1, 2005
  6. John Geddes

    Dexter Guest

    Ah well if you will insist on giving your custom to these German
    amateur VOIP providers ................................... .

    Dexter, Dec 1, 2005
  7. Just timed mine calling BT landline, got a ring tone in very slightly
    over 2 seconds, this is with both a Cisco 186 and a Lynksys PAP1
    connecting via asterisk.

    AFAIK It's always been like that.

    Thomas Rankin, Dec 1, 2005
  8. John Geddes

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    You missed your cue by 25 minutes, you're slipping..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 1, 2005
  9. John Geddes

    Mark Guest

    My PDD with Voipfone is 13 seconds..

    Mark, Dec 1, 2005
  10. John Geddes

    alexd Guest

    I always get ringing tone, using an ATA486 or an SPA-841 thru Asterisk.

    However, the first time I tried dialling my mobile, I got 15 seconds of
    silence, and then on the asterisk console:

    Dec 1 19:52:15 WARNING[6417]: chan_sip.c:6846 handle_response: Forbidden -
    wrong password on authentication for INVITE to '"Cordless"
    <sip:>;tag=as0bc4b2ce'
    Dec 1 19:52:18 WARNING[6417]: chan_sip.c:6846 handle_response: Forbidden -
    wrong password on authentication for INVITE to '"Cordless"
    <sip:>;tag=as0bc4b2ce'

    The second time I tried, I got a ringing tone after 11 seconds. Odd.

    alexd, Dec 1, 2005
  11. every time ? without fail ? in the morning ?

    I'm trying to help a lady get it going, she really wants it to work
    but her patience is wearing thin.

    Testing it this morning, she could not reach either the 10000 test
    number or 50000 for voicemail or my sipgate number (she won't put
    credit on it till she believes its working).

    At secure.sipgate.co.uk the device shows up correctly and refreshes
    itself. Outbound calls that don't work do clock up in the calls list.
    Similarly inbound calls rack up 4s voicemails but there is nothing
    heard by the calling party. Occasionally a caller gets to hear the
    voicemail message. There are no ringing tones from sipgate to sipgate.

    Called her from my sipgate line just now, 35 seconds to voicemail
    first time, 1m45 and counting a minute later. VM set to 30s.

    Dialling into my geo number from BT get silence then continuous tone.
    I can dial the same BT phone from Sipgate OK. Then I call back from BT
    and it works.

    Do the lottery odds improve if you put credit on it ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 1, 2005
  12. John Geddes

    Joe Harrison Guest

    Are you sure this is not configurable, is it called something like dial
    timeout, duh there are so many of these config parameters for SPA3000 I just
    can't get my head around them. I think it's some parameter that says your
    SIP adaptor will wait for so many seconds of no more buttons pressed before
    it decides it has got all the digits for your call.

    Joe Harrison, Dec 1, 2005
  13. presumably the Asterisk server generates the ring once it places the
    call forwards. If you use an ATA direct to sipgates's 386 based
    Asterisk server that doesn't seem to happen.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 1, 2005
  14. John Geddes

    Jono Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:
    ||| I have no problems whatsoever with Sipgate. It works perfectly.
    || every time ? without fail ? in the morning ?
    || I'm trying to help a lady get it going, she really wants it to work
    || but her patience is wearing thin.
    || Testing it this morning, she could not reach either the 10000 test
    || number or 50000 for voicemail or my sipgate number (she won't put
    || credit on it till she believes its working).
    || At secure.sipgate.co.uk the device shows up correctly and refreshes
    || itself. Outbound calls that don't work do clock up in the calls list.
    || Similarly inbound calls rack up 4s voicemails but there is nothing
    || heard by the calling party. Occasionally a caller gets to hear the
    || voicemail message. There are no ringing tones from sipgate to sipgate.
    || Called her from my sipgate line just now, 35 seconds to voicemail
    || first time, 1m45 and counting a minute later. VM set to 30s.
    || Dialling into my geo number from BT get silence then continuous tone.
    || I can dial the same BT phone from Sipgate OK. Then I call back from BT
    || and it works.
    || Do the lottery odds improve if you put credit on it ?
    || Phil
    || --
    || Usenet spam eaten by a Hamster http://www.tglsoft.de/
    || No more cable clowns :))
    || Please do not feed or re-quote the trolls.

    It may well not work in the morning, I've never tried it. All I know when
    there's been a problem, it's been a problem at my side, certainly for the
    last 3 months anyway.

    What type of internet connection is involved? Softphone? ATA?

    Have you tried testing it by dialling an 0800 number?

    Jono, Dec 1, 2005
  15. John Geddes

    Jono Guest

    Joe Harrison wrote:
    || Are you sure this is not configurable, is it called something like dial
    || timeout, duh there are so many of these config parameters for SPA3000
    || I just can't get my head around them. I think it's some parameter that
    || says your SIP adaptor will wait for so many seconds of no more buttons
    || pressed before it decides it has got all the digits for your call.

    ...........but pressing the # key should make it dial straight away, which
    I'm sure the OP has included, though you've snipped it entirely.

    Jono, Dec 1, 2005
  16. The nippers girlfriend often calls him in the morning before school, so
    it seems to be fine here for incoming calls.

    Thomas Rankin, Dec 1, 2005
  17. John Geddes

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Nothing is 100% reliable, but for my part in the last 6 months I have had
    no problems when I've used the system, either incoming or outgoing.
    You can call 0800 numbers without credit, try one of those. Or if you want
    call my speaking clock on 1431320. If you can't reach 10000 then it sounds
    like a config problem or maybe a firewall issue. Are you forwarding all
    relevant ports..?
    Never had that problem. However, failure to reach voicemail can be down to
    the registration interval set in your equipment. If you have it set to a
    long time (some equipment defaults to an hour..!) then the servers won't
    realise your phone is offline until that time has expired. Try setting the
    registration interval to 5 or 10 minutes and see what happens.
    The symptoms you describe point to an equipment configuration problem,
    although obviously without physically examining your system I can't be
    100% sure.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 1, 2005
  18. wireless / leased line in one case, ADSL / Wireless in another, ATAs
    in both cases. NAT routers.

    Without changing a byte of configuration you can get number
    unobtainable, silence, voicemail. Incoming from BT and Orange to the
    geo numbers doesn't work either, thse should at least go to voicemail.
    didn't think of that - do they work from Sipgate without any credit in
    the account. (logic says they might, but ?)

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 1, 2005
  19. John Geddes

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Yes they do. It's mentioned on the Sipgate website as a means of testing
    your account. (The BT number they quote doesn't work any more though..!)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 1, 2005
  20. well mine works most of the time for outbound but 10000 is far from
    reliable as a test.
    I can see how that might affect the "if sipgate phone offline"
    setting, but why would it affect "if not reachable after 40s" ??
    I disagree, why should the incoming geo number be NU or silent when
    voicemail is set to come in after 30s or if unavailable. This requires
    no equipment at all at my end, yet it doesn't work for a significant
    proportion of the calls made. The calls that to the calling party are
    "just dead" appear as 4s voicemail calls with no content on the web
    interface, but the calling party never hears the voicemail
    announcement (Orange and BT calls). So the voicemail is broken ?

    Equally a constant equipment configuration at my end does not give
    constant results on incoming or outgoing calls.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 2, 2005